Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

LEGO Soccer Mania shows animation, but cannot do mouse or keyboard

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Education Software] >> [Adventure Workshop] >> 4th - 6th Grade >> LEGO Soccer Mania shows animation, but cannot do mouse or keyboard Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
LEGO Soccer Mania shows animation, but cannot do mouse ... - 1/11/2009 1:48:14 PM   
markjjordan

We own the Adventure Workshop 4th-6th Grade 8th Edition software package. We have successfully installed the software; however, when we attempt to run the "LEGO Soccer Mania Fun and Games" CD, we get to the point where it is asking to load saved game or start a new one (it has some soccer balls spinning in the right and left margins of what seems to be currently selected on the screen).

At this point, we hear music, and there is animation on the screen. However, we are unable to use any input device (keyboard or mouse) to do anything; the mouse will not move anything, nor with the keyboard arrows or any other key do anything. If I do a Alt-Tab to try to get to another programming running on teh system, sometimes it will go, but only after waiting a few minutes. I've also tried doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del, and that also does nothing.

I have to resort to shutting down the system hard and then reboot. I have also tried after a fresh reboot -- same results. FYI... this is a relatively recent restage of the systm (ie. fresh o/s install from scratch). My o/s, by the way, is Windows XP SP3.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
Post #: 1
RE: LEGO Soccer Mania shows animation, but cannot do mo... - 1/11/2009 2:46:57 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi markjjordan,

When I installed "LEGO Soccer Mania Fun and Games" CD from Adventure Workshop 4th-6th Grade 8th Edition on my Vista laptop, this is what I saw:

1. After the Intro, I was asked to press the Space bar to continue.

2. When the Game Files window opened, the message instructed me to select a position to save a game or select a game file to load. I found that the only workable option was to select 'Don't Save'.

At that time, my mouse worked correctly and I could select an item by using the arrow keys, the enter key and the space bar on the keyboard.

3. When I finally reached the point where I could set my Options, I discovered that some selections must be made by right clicking with the mouse.

As you can see, the mouse and the keyboard work correctly for me. And, my first thought would be that either your computer or your video card does not meet the Minimum System Requirements for LEGO Soccer Mania. So, the first thing you'll want to do is to find and then open the readme.txt file in the Support folder on the LEGO Soccer Mania CD then review the information about video cards.

One of the first things you will see in that readme.txt file is the recommendation to update your video card driver.

Click on the link below

Updating Video Card Driver: 2000/XP/Vista/7/Mac OS X 10.4.0 and later

for instructions.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/15/2010 7:10:29 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to [email protected]

(in reply to markjjordan)
Post #: 2
RE: LEGO Soccer Mania shows animation, but cannot do mo... - 1/11/2009 4:25:29 PM   
markjjordan

More information, in response to Brandy's reply.

This is a brand new Dell system, with updated video drivers. So I'm pretty sure the video driver is not the issue.

As mentioned above, the display seems to be doing everything its supposed to be doing... showing animation, exhibiting sound, etc. Its just that when I get to that one screen, I can't do anything with the mouse or keyboard. I can't even do a Ctrl-Alt-Del or an Alt-Tab to switch to another application.

Here's a paste of the display specs from running dxdiag on the system:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/11/2009, 19:20:55
Machine name: GEORGE
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.080814-1236)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 530
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 3318MB RAM
Page File: 394MB used, 4806MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C2&SUBSYS_020D1028&REV_02
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: igxprd32.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4820 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 4/16/2007 21:16:08, 57344 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: igxpmp32.sys
Mini VDD Date: 4/16/2007 21:16:26, 5760096 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6A82-11CF-4C61-0722A3C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x29C2
SubSys ID: 0x020D1028
Revision ID: 0x0002
Revision ID: 0x0002
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 3
RE: LEGO Soccer Mania shows animation, but cannot do mo... - 1/11/2009 5:43:44 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi markjjordan,

Even brand new systems do not always have the latest video card drivers installed. As is shown in the information that you posted in your last message, your video card driver is nearly two years old. So, you will most definitely want to check for a new driver.

Did you do as I suggested before and check the readme.txt file for LEGO Soccer Mania? If you did, you will have seen where your video card chipset (Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family) is not in the list of supported chipsets.

Another thing that the readme.txt file says is that Lego SOCCER MANIA requires a 3D capable card. And, when I checked this web site

http://www.intel.com/assets/pdf/whitepaper/316971.pdf

for your Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset video card, I did not find any reference to 3D capability.

So, if your video card is not compatible with Lego SOCCER MANIA, it won't make any difference whether or not you are using the most current driver.

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to [email protected]

Post #: 4
RE: LEGO Soccer Mania shows animation, but cannot do mo... - 1/20/2009 9:34:34 AM   
markjjordan

I emailed support and got back the attached response. Based on their recommendations, I got this game working by performing the compatibility wizard and selecting/checking the "Disable Visual Themes" option. All is well now. Maybe this thread can help someone else if they experience this matter.

--- Attachment: Email Response from Encore Software ---

Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 6:15 PM
To: <redacted>
Subject: RE: Encore Support Incident #94360

Note: If you reply to this message please do not modify the subject line.
In Windows XP you can try using compatibility mode for this program. - Select Start - All Programs (or just programs depending on your settings) - Accessories - Program Compatibility Wizard. The program compatibility wizard has multiple options that you can choose from. Make sure you try each option (most commonly Windows 98/ME mode and Disable Visual Themes). This makes different changes in the way Windows XP handles programs you select. Sometimes unlikely combinations of these options can solve your issue so make sure you try different options (windows 2000 or 95 mode are commonly unused but can solve an unlikely issue). We cannot guarantee that this will work, but it has worked for several issues in the past.

Sincerely,

Oscar
Customer Service and Technical Support
Encore, Inc., A Navarre Corporation Company

Incident ID=94360

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 1/12/2009 7:00:22 AM
To: Encore Support

(Customer communication preference is Email)

We own the Adventure Workshop 4th-6th Grade 8th Edition software package. We have successfully installed the software; however, when we attempt to run the "LEGO Soccer Mania Fun and Games" CD, we get to the point where it is asking to load saved game or start a new one (it has some soccer balls spinning in the right and left margins of what seems to be currently selected on the screen). At this point, we hear music, and there is animation on the screen. However, we are unable to use any input device (keyboard or mouse) to do anything; the mouse will not move anything, nor with the keyboard arrows or any other key do anything. If I do a Alt-Tab to try to get to another programming running on teh system, sometimes it will go, but only after waiting a few minutes. I've also tried doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del, and that also does nothing. I have to resort to shutting down the system hard and then reboot. I have also tried after a fresh reboot -- same results. FYI... this is a relatively recent restage of the systm (ie. fresh o/s install from scratch). My o/s, by the way, is Windows XP SP3.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
RAM: 1024+

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Education Software] >> [Adventure Workshop] >> 4th - 6th Grade >> LEGO Soccer Mania shows animation, but cannot do mouse or keyboard Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4