Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

How to convert XP instructions to WinVista or Win7 format

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Read First] >> Tips and general information >> How to convert XP instructions to WinVista or Win7 format Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to convert XP instructions to WinVista or Win7 format - 2/19/2009 8:16:21 PM   
Brandy redux

Anyone who has ever used a WinVista or Win7 computer knows that the file folders on WinVista and Win7 computers are not the same as the file folders on WinXP computers. So, older Tech Support instructions and FAQs on the Internet which are still in XP format won't always work on a WinVista or Win7 computer.

Following is a list of WinXP and WinVista/Win 7 equivalents. So, all you should have to do is to substitute the WinVista/Win 7 folder for the XP folder listed in the Tech Support instructions or FAQs.

WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\
WinVista/Win 7: C:\Users\

WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your-username]\My Documents\
WinVista/Win 7: C:\Users\[your-username]\Documents\

WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your-username]\My Documents\My Pictures\
WinVista/Win 7: C:\Users\[your-username]\Pictures\

WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your-username]\My Documents\My Music\
WinVista/Win 7: C:\Users\[your-username]\Music\

WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your-username]\Local Settings\
WinVista/Win 7: C:\Users\[your-username]\AppData\Local\

WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your-username]\Local Settings\Temp\
WinVista/Win 7: C:\Users\[your-user-name]\AppData\Local\Temp\

WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\
WinVista/Win 7: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\

WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Broderbund Software\Print
and
C:\Documents and Settings\[your-username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Broderbund Software\Print

WinVista/Win 7: C:\Users\All Users\Broderbund Software\Print\
and C:\ProgramData\Broderbund Software\Print

WinXP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your-username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Broderbund Software\Print
WinVista/Win 7: C:\Users\[your-username]\AppData\Local\Broderbund Software\Print

Additional Notes:

In addition to some file folders being different on WinVista/Win 7 computers, some other options on WinVista/Win 7 computers are different than those options on WinXP computers.

1. If the instructions say to

Click on 'Start', then click on 'Run', then type a command into the 'Open' box - but you don't see a 'Run' option - do this instead:

a. Click on 'Start', type Run, click on 'Run' when it appears in the Search window, then type the command into the 'Open' box.

OR

b. Click on 'Start', type the command without clicking on anything else. When the command is found, it will appear in the search window. Click on the command to activate it.

2. If the instructions say to

Uninstall a program by going to Control Panel then clicking on 'Add or Remove Programs', you will find that there is no 'Add or Remove Programs' option in either Vista's Control Panel or Win 7's Control Panel.

To uninstall a program from a WinVista/Win 7 computer, go to Control Panel, then click on 'Programs and Features'.

3. If the instructions say to Click on 'Start' then click on 'Search' - but you do not see a 'Search option - do this instead:

a. Click on 'Start', then type the search word without clicking on anything else. If the search finds anything, it will appear in the search window

b. If the search doesn't find anything on a WinVista computer, or it doesn't find what you were looking for, click on this link

Uninstalling Software: Thoroughly & Safely

then review post #4 - "Hard drive search: WinVista" - in that FAQ

c. If the search doesn't find anything on a Win 7 computer, or it doesn't find what you were looking for, click on this link

Uninstalling Software: Thoroughly & Safely

then review post #5 - "Hard drive search: Windows 7" in that FAQ

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 5/27/2010 7:20:10 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Read First] >> Tips and general information >> How to convert XP instructions to WinVista or Win7 format Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4