Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Problem Installing Arthur's Thinking Games

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Education Software] >> [Adventure Workshop] >> Preschool - 1st Grade >> Problem Installing Arthur's Thinking Games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem Installing Arthur's Thinking Games - 11/1/2009 6:35:55 PM   
Clarinet

Hi~

I purchased Adventure Workshop (9th Edition) Preschool - 1st Grade and so far I was able to install 3 out of 4 programs with no problems.. but I am having trouble with "Arthur's Thinking Games"..

I insert CD into the drive and autorun pops up just like the other 3 CDs.. and as I go through the installation process, it shows that it cannot open source DSSAGENT.EXE and my anti-virus program shows that it is a spyware program, but since it is on the CD it is not removable.. I read from another post that you mentioned about restarting PC and removing checkmark from the box next to "Use Broadcast", so I tried that, but no success..

I could click "Ignore" box on the anti-virus window, but I am not sure what DSSAGENT.EXE will do to my PC and I don't want to risk it if it really is spyware of some sort.. is there another way to install "Arthur" on my PC? I am using Windows XP SP2, Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM.. any help would be appreciated.. thank you!
Post #: 1
RE: Problem Installing Arthur's Thinking Games - 11/1/2009 7:23:57 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi Clarinet,

If you are saying that your anti-virus program is generating a message during the install process, that would have to mean that you are not disabling your anti-virus program before you insert the install CD.

Anti-virus software should ALWAYS be disabled before installing software - because that anti-virus software can cause installations to become corrupt.

Please click on this link

'Clean' Install on Win98/Me/XP/2000/Vista/Win7

to a FAQ which describes the procedure which is recommended for ALL software applications. You should be able to fix your problem by following all of the directions in that FAQ.

As to your question about dssagent.exe, since you saw the other post here

'DSSAGENT.EXE' error while installing 'Arthurs Thinking Games'

where I recommended removing the checkmark from the box next to "Use Brodcast" during the installation, you should have also seen where I said that the Brodcast part of the program is, actually, nothing more than a process to provide additional content to consumers, i.e.: screen savers, product updates, special discount programs.

The dssagent.exe file installs the Brodcast part of the program. Even though some anti-virus software will identify dssagent.exe as spyware, it is not spyware. And, as a matter of fact, Broderbund does not even use the Brodcast program anymore. So, when you do a 'clean' install, you will want to be sure to remove the checkmark from the box next to "Use Broadcast", to prevent the Brodcast program from being installed.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/15/2010 6:58:26 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to Clarinet)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Education Software] >> [Adventure Workshop] >> Preschool - 1st Grade >> Problem Installing Arthur's Thinking Games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4