Print is not Aligned or Printing is Off-Center
The first most important point to keep in mind when Print is not Aligned or Printing is Off-Center is that all printers (even borderless printers) have built-in unprintable margin areas. For many printers, the 4 margins (one for each side of the paper) are not the same size. And, the margin for the end of the paper which comes out of the printer last is usually the largest margin. So, when the 4 margins are not the same size, projects can appear to be not aligned or off-center when a project is printed to the very edge of each margin.
The size of the margins in Broderbund programs is determined by the unprintable margins which are built into the selected printer. Those margins are displayed in Broderbund projects as dotted lines. Any text or graphics which is placed between the dotted line margin and the edge of the paper will not print.
So, the first thing that must be done when the Print is Not Aligned or the Printing is Off-Center is to check the printer's documentation to determine the exact size of the unprintable margin areas for the selected printer. If it is determined that the size of the unprintable margin areas is causing the problem, the only thing that can be done is to go into the selected printer's Properties then activate whatever margin options are available for reducing the size of the margins. Common margin options are 'Minimize Margins', 'Printable Area', 'Borderfree', 'Borderless', etc.
If it is determined that the size of the unprintable margin areas is not causing the problem, following are several recommended solutions for dealing with the problem.
Update the printer driver
Go to the printer manufacturer's web site to download and install the correct and most current version of the printer driver for your Operating System.
NOTE: The printer driver which is installed on your computer should be the most current driver for both your Operating System and the version of that Operating System - either 32-bit or 64-bit. If you do not know which Operating System you are using, or which version you are using, go to Control Panel, select System, then look for the name of the Operating System (i.e. Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc.). Then, look for something which says either '32-bit Operating System' or '64-bit Operating System'. If you don't find any mention of either 32-bit or 64-bit, that would indicate that your Operating System is a 32-bit Operating System.
It is also very important to keep in mind that the printer driver that is on the CD which is bundled with the printer is not always the most current printer driver. So, it's always a good idea to visit the printer manufacturer's web site on a regular basis to check for newer drivers.
If it is found that the correct driver is already installed, it definitely couldn't hurt to uninstall and then reinstall the printer driver (on the off chance that the driver has become corrupt).
Reset the Printer Alignment
Many Broderbund programs include a Print Alignment option which allows the position of the project on the page to be changed by inches or centimeters. However, there are 2 very important points which must be kept in mind about the Print Alignment option:
1. The only function of the Print Alignment option is to change the position of the project on the page. The Print Alignment option cannot force margins to print smaller than the printer will allow.
2. Sometimes, when the Print Alignment is changed for one project, those changes can cause other projects to print incorrectly. And, when that happens it is necessary to reset the Printer Alignment.
a. Select 'File' in the menubar, then select 'Print' in the menu that drops down.
b. When the 'Print' window opens, click on the 'Advanced' button.
c. When the 'Advanced Settings' window opens, click on the 'Print Alignment' button.
d. When the 'Printer Alignment' window opens, click on the 'Reset' button.
e. Click on the 'OK' button to return to the project.
Change the Printer Settings
1. Select, 'File' in the menubar, then select 'Print' in the menu that drops down.
2. When the 'Print' window opens, click on the 'Advanced' button.
3. When the 'Advanced Settings' window opens, click in the box next to 'Print as Bitmap' - to place a check mark in that box.
4. Click 'OK' to return to the project.
Perform a Disk Cleanup
1. Go to 'My Computer' ('Computer' for Vista & Windows 7)
2. Right click on the C:\ drive, then select 'Properties' in the menu that drops down.
3. When the 'Properties' window opens, click on the 'Disk Cleanup' button, then follow through with the Disk Cleanup process.
NOTE: When the Disk Cleanup window opens (with the list of items to be deleted), make sure that there are checkmarks next to 'Temporary Internet Files', 'Recycle Bin' and 'Temporary Files' before you click on OK.
Delete Personal Temp files
1. Click on 'Start', then click on 'Run'.
2. Type %temp% in the box, then click on OK.
3. When the list of temp files is displayed, hold down the CTRL key while pressing the A key (to select all Files), then, hold down the CTRL key while pressing the D key (to delete all selected Files). If a window pops up during the deletion process telling you that the process cannot be completed, click on the 'Skip' button to move on to the next file. DO NOT click on either the 'Try Again' button or the 'Cancel' button.
One quick way to do this with Vista & Windows 7 would be to do this:
1. Click on 'Start'.
2. Type %temp%
3. When the temp item appears in the search window, click on that item.
4. When the list of files appears, hold down the CTRL key while pressing the A key (to select all Files), then, hold down the CTRL key while pressing the D key (to delete all selected Files).
< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 12/26/2009 4:04:08 PM >
For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page
To contact me by email, please send your message to email@example.com