You did not provide the most important piece of information - which Operating System you are using.
The "Unable to Initialize the PDF Converter" error message is telling you that the Broderbund PDF Converter either has not been installed, has been uninstalled, has become corrupted, or is incompatible with the Operating System.
NOTE: Neither the Broderbund PDF Converter nor the Broderbund PDF Creator are compatible with the 64-bit version of either WinXP or WinVista or Win7 for 1) PrintMaster 18 or earlier, 2) Print Shop 23 or earlier or 3) Calendar Creator 12.1.
For PrintMaster 18.1 and Print Shop 23.1, it is possible to tweak the Broderbund PDF Creator so that it will work with those products, by doing this:
1. Open Devices and Printers from the Control Panel. If you would rather not use either the Broderbund PDF Converter or Creator, or if you experience problems while trying to use the Broderbund PDF Converter or Creator, you can use any PDF printer driver which is installed on your computer.
2. Right click on Broderbund PDF Creator.
3. Click on Printer Properties.
4. View the Ports tab.
5. Click on the Add Port… button.
6. Highlight “Local Port” and click on the New Port… button (Not New Port Type…)
7. Enter any name for the port.
8. Restart Your Computer
9. Return to the application.
10. Save your project as a PDF.
CutePDF Writer, which can be downloaded for free by clicking on the link below
and which is Vista and Windows 7 ready (for both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version), is a popular alternative to the Broderbund PDF Converter/Creator.
However, if you do choose to use a different PDF driver, it is important to keep in mind that it will be necessary for you to print to PDF, as is described in this FAQ
Save as PDF vs File | Print to PDF
- because the Save As PDF function works only with the Broderbund PDF Converter or Creator.
If you are using WinXP or an earlier Operating System, you should be able to solve the problem by deleting the Broderbund PDF Converter from the list of printers, then reinstalling the Broderbund PDF Converter, as described below.
Delete the Broderbund PDF Converter 2.10d:
1a. For Windows® 98/Me and Windows NT®, select 'Start', select 'Settings' in the menu that drops down, then select 'Printers'.
1b. For Windows XP, select 'Start', select 'Settings' in the menu that drops down, then select 'Printers and Faxes'
2. When the 'Printers' or 'Printers and Faxes' window opens, locate the Broderbund PDF Converter 2.10d icon.
NOTE: If the Broderbund PDF Converter 2.10d icon does not appear, close the window and continue with the "Installing the Broderbund PDF Converter" procedure below.
3. Right-click on that Broderbund PDF Converter 2.10d icon, then select 'Delete' from the menu that drops down.
4. Select 'Yes' to delete the printer "Broderbund PDF Converter 2.10d."
5. Close the 'Printers' or 'Printers and Faxes' window.
Installing the Broderbund PDF Converter
1. Double-click 'My Computer' then double-click the drive where The Print Shop is installed. (Typically, this is the C: drive.)
2. Double-click the 'Program folder' then double-click the 'The Print Shop' folder.
3. Double-click the PDFDriver folder.
NOTE: If the PDFDriver folder is not found, stop here and continue with the Installing the Broderbund PDF Converter from the Disc procedure below.
4. Double-click PDFInstaller.exe to begin the installation of the Broderbund PDF Converter.
5. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
Installing the Broderbund PDF Converter from the Disc
1. Open the project that is to be saved as a PDF file.
2. Select 'File' in the menu bar, then select 'Save As PDF' from the menu that drops down.
3. In the 'Save Project As PDF' window, type a name for the file, then select 'Save As'.
4. When the 'Save As' window opens, select the desired 'Save in' location and 'File name', then select 'Save'. The "This feature is not installed." message - or a similar message - will reappear.
5. Select 'Yes' when you are asked if you want to install the feature.
6. Follow the onscreen steps to complete the installation of the Broderbund PDF Converter.
7. The Broderbund PDF Converter will install and the file will be saved in the location that was chosen with the name that was chosen in Step 4.
< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 1/11/2011 7:39:24 PM >
For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page
To contact me by email, please send your message to email@example.com