Before Outlook Address Book data can be imported into a Print Shop|Ultimate Mail Manager Address Book, that Outlook data must be exported to CSV format. Click on the link below for the recommended procedure for exporting Outlook Address Book data.
When you are asked to 'Create a file of type,' select 'Comma Separated Values (Windows)'.
When you are asked to 'Select Folder to Export From,' select 'Contacts'.
NOTE:The directions in that "Steps to exporting files from Microsoft Outlook" item can be used to export ONLY the default Outlook Address Book to CSV format. Those directions CANNOT be used to export any Personal Address Book that has been created by any version of Outlook. That is because the data in the default Outlook Address Book is a virtual address book which is stored in a folder instead of being stored as a file. Personal Address Books - which can be created in some (but not all) versions of Outlook - are stored as separate *.pab files.
After the *.csv file is created, you will need to rename that file with a *.txt file extension - because Print Shop|Ultimate Mail Manager expects Comma Separated|Comma Delimited files to have *.txt file extensions.
To import that *.txt file into a Print Shop|Ultimate Mail Manager Address Book, do the following:
1. Open any Print Shop project.
2. Select 'Tools' in the menubar, then select 'Edit Address Book' option in the menu that drops down.
Select 'Addresses/Events' in the left toolbar, then select 'Edit Address Book in the menu that drops down.
3. When the Ultimate Mail Manager window opens, open the Address Book that you want to use for the import.
4. Select 'File' in the menubar, then select 'Import/Export/Merge' & 'Import' in the menus that drop down.
5. When the 'Import' window opens, select 'Comma Delimited', then click on the 'OK' button.
6. When the 'Open' window opens, navigate to the location of the *.txt file that you want to import, click once on that file name, then click on the 'Open' button.
6. When the 'Verifying the import from file' window opens, click on the 'Yes' button - to verify that the correct file was selected for import.
7. When the 'Import' File window opens, match the fields in the list on the left side of the window with the fields in the list on the right side of the window by doing the following: A. Click on a Field Name in the list on the left side of the window.
B. Click on the Field name in the list on the right side of the window that you want to match with the selected Field Name in the list on the left side of the window.
C. Click on the 'Match' button.
D. Repeat the process until there are no more Field Names in the list on the right side of the window to match with the Field Names on the left side of the window.
E. Click on the 'OK' button.
F. Review the names in the Address Book to make sure that the file imported correctly.
If the Export from Outlook and Import to Print Shop does not work as well as you might hope, you might want to make note of the fact that, if you are using Microsoft Office 2007, you can use Microsoft Office Word 2007 to start a mail merge operation using the Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 Contacts list. And, you can select the contacts that you want to email to or apply a filter to your view so that only the contacts that you want to address are visible.
This means that you can create your projects in Microsoft Office Word 2007 and you won't need Print Shop at all - except, maybe, to copy images from Print Shop then paste them into the Microsoft Office Word 2007 project.
For more information, go to Outlook Help and look for these items:
'Use Outlook contacts as a data source for a mail merge'
Post New Thread
Reply to Message
Post New Poll
Delete My Own Post
Delete My Own Thread
Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.
If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.