NOTE: When a Broderbund project is saved as a *.pdf file, that *.pdf file cannot be opened in the Broderbund program that was used to save the *.pdf file. So, if project revisions are required, it will be necessary to open the original Broderbund project, make the revisions, then repeat the process for saving the project as a *.pdf file.
*.pdf files can be opened, viewed and printed from Adobe® Acrobat® Reader, which is a free download from here
Some Broderbund programs offer a 'Save As PDF' option in the 'File' menu which can be used to save Broderbund projects in PDF format. Saving a project in PDF format allows professional printers to open and print the project without having the Broderbund program installed on their computers.
The 'Save As PDF' option is not offered in all Broderbund products (even when the Help file indicates that the installed version does offer the 'Save As PDF' option).
If your Broderbund product does not offer the 'Save As PDF' option in the 'File' menu, or if you experience problems while trying to use the 'Save As PDF' option, it should be possible for you to Print to PDF by doing this:
1. Select 'File' in the menubar, then select 'Print' in the menu that drops down.
2. When the 'Print' window opens, click on the down arrow next to the Printer 'Name' box, then select an installed PDF printer driver in the list that drops down.
NOTE: #1 With some Broderbund products, it is not possible to select a different printer directly from the 'Print' window. In order to select a different printer, it is necessary to first click on the 'Setup' button on the 'Print' window.
NOTE: #2 It is very important to keep in mind that you must NOT select either the 'Broderbund PDF Creator' or 'Broderbund PDF Converter' in this step - because the Print to PDF option is the recommended procedure for working around the fact that the 'Save As PDF' option - which is controlled by the Broderbund PDF driver - is not working.
However, before you can use the Print to PDF option, you must have an alternate PDF driver - such as the Cute PDF driver, which is recommended below - installed on your computer.
It is also very important to keep in mind that regardless of whether you choose to 'Save As PDF' or Print to PDF, it would be best to select the PDF printer driver in 'Print Setup' BEFORE saving the project in PDF format - just in case the PDF printer driver causes the project to be changed or shifted in any way.
* For all versions of Print Shop EXCEPT The Print Shop 2.0 and 3.0, the 'Print Setup' option is accessed by selecting 'File' in the menubar, then selecting 'Printing' then 'Print Setup' in the menu that drops down.
* For all versions of PrintMaster EXCEPT PrintMaster 2.0, 2011 and 2012, the 'Print Setup' option is accessed by selecting 'File' in the menubar, then selecting 'Printer Setup' then 'Print Setup' in the menu that drops down.
When the 'Print Setup' window opens, change the Printer 'Name' to the Broderbund PDF Converter (for WinXP) or to the Broderbund PDF Creator (for WinVista and Windows 7) or to any other installed PDF printer driver.
Look the project over to make sure that selecting the PDF printer driver didn't change anything.
When you are sure that everything looks right, you are ready to save the project in PDF format.
NOTE: Neither the Broderbund PDF Converter nor the Broderbund PDF Creator are compatible with the 64-bit version of either WinXP or WinVista or Win7 for 1) PrintMaster 18 or earlier, 2) Print Shop 23 or earlier or 3) Calendar Creator 12.1.
For PrintMaster 18.1 and Print Shop 23.1, it is possible to tweak the Broderbund PDF Creator so that it will work with those products, by doing this:
1. Open Devices and Printers from the Control Panel. If you would rather not use either the Broderbund PDF Converter or Creator, or if you experience problems while trying to use the Broderbund PDF Converter or Creator, you can use any PDF printer driver which is installed on your computer.
2. Right click on Broderbund PDF Creator.
3. Click on Printer Properties.
4. View the Ports tab.
5. Click on the Add Port… button.
6. Highlight “Local Port” and click on the New Port… button (Not New Port Type…)
7. Enter any name for the port.
8. Restart Your Computer
9. Return to the application.
10. Save your project as a PDF.
CutePDF Writer, which can be downloaded for free by clicking on the link below
and which is Vista and Windows 7 ready (for both the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version), is a popular alternative to the Broderbund PDF Converter/Creator.
Even though the cutepdf.com web site specifically says that a PS2PDF converter such as Ghostscript is required, it is not actually necessary to download that PS2PDF converter separately. All that is actually necessary is to click on the 'Free Download' link to download the CuteWriter.exe file. Then, during the installation of CuteWriter.exe, you will be asked if you want to download and install the PS2PDF converter. When you say YES, the download and install of the PS2PDF converter will be automatically performed during the installation of CuteWriter.exe.
NOTE: The 'Save As PDF' option works ONLY with the Broderbund PDF Converter for WinXP and with the Broderbund PDF Creator for WinVista and Windows 7. So, if you do decide to use a PDF Converter other than the Broderbund PDF Converter or Creator, your only option will be to use the Print to PDF option described above.
Use the conveniently pre-installed Microsoft Print to PDF printer, if you have Win 10.
< Message edited by lindarobin -- 5/1/2016 6:54:51 PM >
For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page
To contact me by email, please send your message to firstname.lastname@example.org