Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Installing The Print Shop 23 in Windows 8.1

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Installing The Print Shop 23 in Windows 8.1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Installing The Print Shop 23 in Windows 8.1 - 11/26/2013 12:03:24 PM   
BR47

I installed the Windows 8.1 update days before the above warning to un-install the program first. After installation The Print Shop would not open. I removed the program without problem, but when I tried to
re-install the installer required me to install Microsoft Framework 1.1. Microsoft Framework 1.1 is not compatible with Windows 8.1, and any attempt to install it (using compatibility mode or otherwise) fails.
First you get a window that pops up with, "This Program has compatibility issues". It gives you two options - Get help online (which offers no available solutions), and Run program without getting help. Clicking
on that begins the installation, however when the installation reaches the end it rolls back and you get the notice "Microsoft .NET Framework has ended prematurely. If this persists contact product support". I
assume they will tell me what is posted on their site - not compatible with Windows 8.1. I do have Framework version 3.5, which is supposed to work for the 1.1 programs, but doesn't seem to register with
The Print Shop Pro 23. Is there any way around this I am missing? The program worked well on Windows 8 but after this update nothing I have done has seemed to work. Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Installing The Print Shop 23 in Windows 8.1 - 11/26/2013 3:46:45 PM   
Kira

Print Shop 23 cannot function without Framework 1.1. Some users have had success by installing Framework 1.1 before installing Print Shop 23.

Check out this FAQ for more information

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=39725

UPDATE: After an internet query, I discovered this post

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh925570%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

which indicates that it is not possible to manually install Framework 1.1 on either Win8 or Win8.1.

So, even though it couldn't hurt to try to manually install Framework 1.1, if that post is correct, you will not be successful.

< Message edited by Kira -- 11/26/2013 4:08:06 PM >

(in reply to BR47)
Post #: 2
RE: Installing The Print Shop 23 in Windows 8.1 - 11/26/2013 4:21:28 PM   
BR47

Yes I have tried installing it before The Print Shop, directly from Microsoft's site. Same issue. So am I SOL or is there a way to make the silly thing 3.5 Framework compatible?

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 3
RE: Installing The Print Shop 23 in Windows 8.1 - 11/26/2013 11:15:44 PM   
Kira

quote:

ORIGINAL: BR47
So am I SOL or is there a way to make the silly thing 3.5 Framework compatible?

As I said in my original message, Print Shop 23 cannot function without NET Framework 1.1.

The problem you are experiencing is due to the fact that NET Framework 1.1 first appeared in Print Shop 20, which was designed for Windows 98 / 2000 / Me / XP.

Windows 7 is, I believe, the first OS on which NET Framework 1.1 is not 100% compatible. With Windows 7, it is possible to easily work around that incompatibility.

When the Powers That Be decided to upgrade Print Shop after 23.1 was released, they created an entirely new program instead of upgrading the older version. NET Framework 4.0 is required for the latest version of Print Shop (3.5).

Since some users have claimed to have been able to successfully install several Print Shop 23 and earlier versions of Print Shop on Windows 8, either those users installed those earlier versions on a 32-bit version of Windows 8 or NET Framework is not as incompatible with Windows 8/8.1 as the link I referenced earlier would like to make us believe. I am not able to provide any personal information about Windows 8 because I have never felt the need to upgrade to Windows 8.

(in reply to BR47)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Installing The Print Shop 23 in Windows 8.1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4