Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

cannot save as JPG 3' x 9' banner

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> cannot save as JPG 3' x 9' banner Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
cannot save as JPG 3' x 9' banner - 5/5/2014 4:30:57 PM   
communitydish

I just completed my first project and I can not save as a jpeg with a 150 dpi resolution. The box says I can save up to 600 dpi. However when I try to save the file as a dpi file the resolution bar will not go higher than 100. When I try to save as 100 dpi I get an error message that says can not render project.

The project I am working on is a large banner. 3 feet wide and 9 feet in length. I can not group the entire art work. The program lets me group only two objects at a time. When grouping several things at once the group button remains greyed and unusable. When I tried to print I select PDF and a slide bar appears. The slider is at the 75 DPI setting and when slid all the way to the left 100 DPI briefly appears then disappears. When I select continue it begins to render then I get an error message THE PRINT SHOP 3.5 COULD NOT RENDER PROJECT. I am really frustrated.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 8/12/2014 11:20:58 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/6/2014 3:14:38 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: communitydish
... The project I am working on is a large banner. 3 feet wide and 9 feet in length.

Good to know. I suspect the problem is related to file size. It is RARE for most programs to be able to render high resolution JPGs (even medium resolution JPGs) at 3x9 feet.

At a low resolution of 100 dpi, your banner would be a whopping 388.8 megapixels. I think even my Adobe Photo Shop would crash trying to work with this size.

If you were planning to have this banner professionally printed, perhaps the solution would be to work with someone at that place. You supply them with individual graphics and instructions. Let them assemble your banner and add your text.

The only "at-home" solution that I know of, is to create such a banner with vector graphics ONLY and then print to a PDF writer that preserves curves and embeds fonts. This keeps the file size really small, yet the print is super sharp no matter how big your banner is.
Post #: 2
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/6/2014 8:23:16 PM   
communitydish

How big of a banner will print shop 3.5 do?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/6/2014 8:47:04 PM   
ellengard

There is a tech note that mentioned 30 MB as the limit for project file size. Past that size and the project may crash when saving or editing. I don't know how that will translate to printed size. It depends on image resolution and what kind of images you use. Photos will contribute the most to the project file size.

Use vector graphics and get yourself a PDF writer that can embed fonts and NOT rasterize the vector graphics. If you do that, you won't have any trouble creating a PDF that can be printed at ANY size.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 5/6/2014 9:10:25 PM >

(in reply to communitydish)
Post #: 4
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/6/2014 9:36:28 PM   
ellengard

As an example, I just completed a 12 foot by 3 foot banner in Print Shop 3.5, using only vector graphics. I used Corel PDF Fusion to convert the project to a PDF. It is a mere 14 KB (yes, KB - not MB).

As long as you use only vector graphics, you can email me your project and I'll be happy to create the PDF for you, if you don't have Corel PDF Fusion or similiar.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 5/6/2014 9:43:40 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/13/2014 6:26:13 AM   
ellengard

Places that print banners may offer online banner templates that may be suitable for your purposes. The template already has a background and you can add your text and upload graphics into the placeholders. You can still use Print Shop to create the graphics to upload.

This method of making your banner eliminates the need to convert a huge project into a JPG or PDF.

Example screen capture from a banner printing site:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/13/2014 11:23:39 PM   
MaudeP

Hello

I have just purchased The Print Shop Professional 3.5. I have been using The Print Shop Deluxe with no real issues. We uninstalled the old version and installed the new. The problem is that when I go to SAVE at JPD, PDF or ANYTHING the program crashes and shuts itself down. I have tried adding a new port as suggested in recent posts although nothing has changed. Hoping for some advice. Thank you.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/14/2014 1:12:25 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: MaudeP
... when I go to SAVE at JPG, PDF or ANYTHING the program crashes and shuts itself down.

Could the problem be the same as communitydish, the poster who started this thread? His file is TOO BIG.

Please tell me what project type you are doing, how many pages it is and if you are using several high res photos.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 5/14/2014 1:13:24 PM >

(in reply to MaudeP)
Post #: 8
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/14/2014 1:25:59 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... or ANYTHING the program crashes and shuts itself down.

"ANYTHING" covers a lot. If you mean that you can't even click the save button to save the project, your problem is tech related. Could be a corrupted installation or a missing update. Please contact technical support by submitting a tech support ticket here:
http://support.encore.com/technicalsupport/tech_support_frm.aspx?product_id=3255

(in reply to MaudeP)
Post #: 9
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/14/2014 2:52:07 PM   
MaudeP

Good Morning

Thank you kindly for your reply. I am using The Printshop Professional version 3.5 on Windows 7. Laptop. I open a create from scratch project, rename to "test", go to clipart and pick any image. I then simply click "Save" as a PDF, JPG or any save and it crashes. I do not even get to create a project. It seems anything I put on there and try to save crashes it. I even tried plain text with no luck.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 10
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/14/2014 3:20:03 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... I do not even get to create a project. It seems anything I put on there and try to save crashes it.

Definitely, your program installation is corrupted. Please refer to post #15 and submit a ticket. In the meantime, it couldn't hurt to uninstall the program, run some cleanup utilities, then try a fresh new installation.

(in reply to MaudeP)
Post #: 11
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 5/14/2014 4:14:50 PM   
MaudeP

Hello again

Yes, I had a feeling I may need to re-install. Thank you so very much for your time and help :)

Have a great day

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 12
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 6/6/2014 6:32:21 PM   
Hawaii50mama

I tried the re-install, but it did not fix. I also tried the pdf fix event though I need to save a jpg. I will send in a ticket and see if tech can help, but I am having the same problem of not being able to save my project. I am just doing 8 x 10 with a couple of photo's and a few graphics. Either it won't render the project, or it renders and leaves out the pictures.

(in reply to MaudeP)
Post #: 13
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 6/6/2014 7:38:03 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hawaii50mama
... I need to save a jpg... I am just doing 8 x 10 with a couple of photo's and a few graphics.

Are you able to save the project? If so, what is its file size? If it is not too big to email, I can export it to JPG for you while tech support tries to figure out why trying to save as JPG crashes your program.

(in reply to Hawaii50mama)
Post #: 14
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 6/7/2014 1:24:39 AM   
Hawaii50mama

How can you tell how large the file is? I moved the bar to 61 for image quality and 300 dpi, but I keep getting errors or it renders, but leaves out the photos.
When I took the image quality down and dpi down to make the file smaller, the picture pixelated. Most of the messages say the files is too large, but how do I get it to print a clean picture on the page?
I tried to attach the only file I got to work, but it said the file was too large.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 15
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 6/7/2014 12:09:42 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hawaii50mama
How can you tell how large the file is?

I am interested in the file size of your project, not the file size of the failed JPG. Look in Documents to find your Print Shop project files and see the size. See my screen capture. If your file size is too big, say over 50MB, that could be causing the JPG rendering to fail.

For a 8x10 print, there is no need to be that big. I can tell you how to resample your photos before you bring them into Print Shop, if file size is causing your problem.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 6/8/2014 11:18:54 PM   
Hawaii50mama

A friend showed me how to resize the photo by opening the picture with "paint" then reducing the size from 100 to 40 (then I reduced again to 40) that seems to do the trick. My camera takes 12 megapixle photos and I guess I was importing the photo as is and it was too big.
I am learning...Thanks for helping me with this.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 17
RE: Print shop 3.5 150 dpi jpeg save - 6/9/2014 10:56:47 AM   
ellengard

That's a good solution. Just don't go below 1500x2100 pixels if you want your photos to print clearly at 5x7 size (I assume you want about 5x7 size if you are putting two photos on a 8x10 canvas.)

You can also resample photos with Windows Live Photo Gallery and The Print Shop's Image Editor.

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> cannot save as JPG 3' x 9' banner Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4