Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

PM8 hangs when creating project

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> Printmaster v8 Platinum (released 2017) >> PM8 hangs when creating project Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/21/2020 12:44:01 PM   
nonnox15

Yesterday I was trying to make a greeting card.  I made the first page and put a background image on the 2nd and 3ed pages.  Then the program hung and would not allow me to make anymore changes.  I shut the PM8 down and restarted it.  I opened the project I was working on and it hung again.

I did this a few times.  I restarted my computer and the same result.  

I updated the PM8 from the HELP tab.  and it continued to hang.
I ran the update a couple of times.   One time the message said the file was corrupted and to reinstall the program.  I reinstalled the program from my disk..It continued to hang every time I restarted the PM8 program and opened the project.

I tried to create a new project and received the same result. 

What can I do?

I have submitted a ticket to tech support prior to logging into this forum.
Post #: 1
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/21/2020 1:43:40 PM   
JasonC

Make sure you backup the PrintMaster Projects folder first before you do anything else. This is in the Documents Folder

Uninstall the program.

Once you have uninstalled, go to C:\Users\Public and delete the Story Rock Folder.

Then, empty your Recycle Bin.

Check C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files x86 and look for a pm v8 folder and delete it.

Then, reboot your PC and reinstall, it should work.

Unfortunately there are different variables with Win 10 and so forth so while it may have worked in the past an update may have taken it out of commission.

Hope this works.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to nonnox15)
Post #: 2
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/22/2020 10:32:22 AM   
nonnox15

I followed your directions completely.
However, when I opened two projects that I had created I had the same problem and PM8 does not change the project.
Nest idea?

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 3
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/25/2020 10:37:46 AM   
nonnox15

I guess I'll have to try to find a different program for making greeting cards.
I have enjoyed and for the most part, been satisfied with Printmaster ever since I started using it with Printmaster Gold.
I have had some problems and been irritated when the Program has been updated. i.e. when it was updated to PM6 and PM8.
I have submitted two tickets for this problem and have gotten no response to date..
I have received one response to the post on this forum and I appreciate the help, BUT this has not solved the problem.
I went through the suggested procedure twice, and the program still will not work.
I guess I'll try to find a program outside of Encore.
Anybody have a suggestion of a good program for making greeting cards, etc.?

(in reply to nonnox15)
Post #: 4
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/25/2020 1:13:21 PM   
lindarobin

I have been reading your posts, wishing I could help you because I also have PM8. It is working well on my Win 7 computer. I suspect that PM8 is no longer compatible with the latest Win 10 updates.

PrintMaster 2019 and 2020 are the Win 10 versions that replace v8. I tried to run 2019 and 2020 on my Win 7, and they both constantly froze up trying to do even the smallest of edits... an incompatibility issue like you are experiencing. However, you would be able to run 2020 since you have Win 10.

(in reply to nonnox15)
Post #: 5
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/25/2020 4:35:08 PM   
nonnox15

I had problems wiht PM8 when I first got it and Encore allowed me to download PM2019 and I didn't care for it.
I liked the PM8 where you work on each panel of the greeting card individually
I had to go to PM8 because I have Win 10. I was using Printmaster 18 which I really liked but it was having issues with Win 10.
The main thing I didn't like about PM8 is the inability to copy clip art, etc to the clip board and post it in another program or project.
I don't like having to buy another program when Windows updates or comes out with a new OS.
Maybe I can undo the last Win 10 update/

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 6
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/25/2020 4:38:44 PM   
nonnox15

I haven't heard from Encore Tech Support.
I don't know if they will have any help for me or not.

(in reply to nonnox15)
Post #: 7
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/25/2020 6:29:24 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: nonnox15
I had problems wiht PM8 when I first got it and Encore allowed me to download PM2019 and I didn't care for it... I don't like having to buy another program when Windows updates or comes out with a new OS.

If PM2019 runs well on your computer, why not give it another try? Compare it against some of the free card-making apps (google it) so you don't have to commit to making a purchase. PM2019 provides you with a lot more art so you can always design a page with images, and export as JPG. Import the JPG into whatever program you prefer.

(in reply to nonnox15)
Post #: 8
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/26/2020 1:51:20 PM   
nonnox15

I didn't like the PM2019 because it didn't have the four separate panels for the greeting card. I have gotten a new computer and the PM 2019 was a download so I don't have the program any more.
One of my favorite features of PM 8 is to be able to use my own photos as a background on each of the panels. I don't know if any of the other programs have that feature.
I would really like to get PM 8 to work.
Thanks for the help.

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 9
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/26/2020 6:24:50 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

I didn't like the PM2019 because it didn't have the four separate panels for the greeting card.

There are separate panels - if not 4 - you should see:

• front
  • inside (left and right)
  • back

I think this is pretty common in many programs.

quote:

I have gotten a new computer and the PM 2019 was a download so I don't have the program any more.

The downloaded file can be transferred via memory stick, so that you can install the program on your new computer.

quote:

One of my favorite features of PM 8 is to be able to use my own photos as a background on each of the panels.

You can do this with v2019 and v2020, too.

quote:

I would really like to get PM 8 to work.

I hope so too, but it is not unusual for older programs to stop working in newer operating systems. Some people pay a monthly subscription for certain high-end programs (e.g. Photoshop) so that they always have software/computer compatibility.

(in reply to nonnox15)
Post #: 10
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/27/2020 10:24:50 AM   
nonnox15

quote:

There are separate panels - if not 4 - you should see:

front
inside (left and right)
back

True, BUT the inside panels, left and right are not edited individually, as far as centering objects on the panel (I call them panel 2 and 3, inside.) which is helpful for me, for I edit the inside panel separately.

I don't think 2019 is still on my old laptop. I have not had success with coping programs from one computer to another.

" it is not unusual for older programs to stop working in newer operating systems" PM8 is not that old. My printmaster 18 still works with my Win 10. Sometimes it hangs but that is usually a conflict with my LibreOffice.

Monthly subscription has always impressed me as being expensive. Or at least more costly than buying and owning my own program.

It is irritating when operating systems are changed and thus resulting in users having to purchase many new programs.

Thank you for you help and suggestions.

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 11
RE: PM8 hangs when creating project - 8/27/2020 12:57:36 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

BUT the inside panels, left and right are not edited individually, as far as centering objects on the panel (I call them panel 2 and 3, inside.) which is helpful for me, for I edit the inside panel separately.

Adding guidelines is what I do when I want precision positioning. I like to create flowing designs in my cards and brochures, so I usually do my own panel-less template, just like the Brochure templates in PM 18.

card I made with free printmaster downloaded graphics:

quote:

I don't think 2019 is still on my old laptop. I have not had success with coping programs from one computer to another.

Software downloads save in the Downloads folder, unless you change this default location. Would you have deleted it? That would be like purchasing software on a DVD, then throwing away the DVD after installing.

quote:

Monthly subscription has always impressed me as being expensive. Or at least more costly than buying and owning my own program.

Oh, for sure. It's most attractive to professional graphic artists and businesses.

quote:

It is irritating when operating systems are changed and thus resulting in users having to purchase many new programs.

I will be very sad the day my computer dies because most of my favorite programs will not work on Win 10. I am still running Microsoft Office 2003, so if I need to replace all that, it will be expensive.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 8/27/2020 2:56:56 PM >

(in reply to nonnox15)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> Printmaster v8 Platinum (released 2017) >> PM8 hangs when creating project Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4