Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

creating bleed margin & crop marks

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> creating bleed margin & crop marks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
creating bleed margin & crop marks - 9/15/2005 12:18:06 PM   
plefort

I customized one of the form postcards. However, when I went to send the pdf file to the print shop, they told me that the size of my postcard was too small. They told me to set my canvass size to 4.5 X 6.25 because 1/8 " gets cut off for bleed.

Supposedly besides the bleed, there needs to be a margin so that the card can be cut down to 4.25 X 6. I would also like to know how to set crop marks & set the postcards so that there can be more than one per page.

Please share you expertise.

Thanks.

Phil L.
Post #: 1
RE: creating bleed margin & crop marks - 9/15/2005 3:50:20 PM   
lindarobin

I work at a print shop, so I hope my info helps you out. It is really important to know exactly how the print shop plans to fill your order. Are they mass producing and machine cutting these postcards? If so, don’t set crop marks and try to put more than one card per page. That will only mess up the print shop’s set-up. Their equipment is efficiently set-up to take one PDF file and replicate it repeatedly over sheets of card stock which are then fed into a cutting machine that will cut apart the postcards. The overlapping bleed they require compensates for the “feed variance” because it is impossible to print and cut in the exact same spot for multiple sheets of paper. A gap or gutter is cut out between the postcards. That is why you need to design your card with your text well within 4.25x6, but with the design extending out to 4.5x6.25. This extra “bleed” space will get lopped off within 1 mm on any side of your postcard. Without this bleed you would lose a noticeable portion of your postcard design during the cutting process.

I can tell you how to layout your postcard in my next posting, along with a visual, if you do come back to this thread.

(in reply to plefort)
Post #: 2
RE: creating bleed margin & crop marks - 9/15/2005 7:10:11 PM   
plefort

Hi Linda and anyone else who wants to share,

Please tell me how I go about giving the printer the bleed margin he needs.

Thanks.

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 3
RE: creating bleed margin & crop marks - 9/15/2005 9:53:55 PM   
lindarobin

If you were coming into my store with a request for postcard printing, the easiest file to work with is a high resolution TIF. PDF is good, but it's going to be a whole lot more complicated for you to create a PDF to our specifications. Besides, the PDF that you create with PS is just a high res image which I would have to convert to TIF to accommodate our printing programs.

• Open a blank page project.
  • Create a rectangle, 4.5 x 6.25. Center it exactly.
  • Create a rectangle, 4.25 x 6. Center it exactly.
  • Design your postcard within the 4.5 x 6.25 boundary. Do not go outside this rectangle, but be sure to design right to the edge.
  • Make sure that anything you don't want to get cropped off remains well within the 4.25 x 6 boundary.
  • Remove the smaller rectangle. You don't want the lines to show on your design.
  • Select all, group and export as TIF. Make sure you are exporting the group as TIF, NOT the entire project which contains white space.
  • Make sure you choose a high resolution, 300 dpi or higher, ie. 1350 x 1875 pixels or higher.

Now you have a high quality TIF file of the correct size and proportion that is required by the print shop.

A PDF is not required, but if you want to go through the exercise, then first read up on how to create a custom paper stock with full-bleed feature. You would be creating a custom size (4.5 x 6.25) project into which you would import the TIF.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 9/15/2005 9:57:42 PM >

(in reply to plefort)
Post #: 4
RE: creating bleed margin & crop marks - 9/15/2005 10:39:00 PM   
lindarobin

Here is a picture to help you visualize how your printed TIF gets cropped.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> creating bleed margin & crop marks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4