Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Export Failed error in HotSHOT Viewer

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Export/Import >> Export Failed error in HotSHOT Viewer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Export Failed error in HotSHOT Viewer - 1/9/2007 9:24:07 AM   
Bogart44

Recently Installed PS21. When creating a slideshow in HSV after organizing photos, setting slideshow parameters, and then pressing FINISH, I get an EXPORT FAILED error (an error has occurred in finishing your slideshow). Noted then that file was not saved to designated location and slideshow does not work. Anyone have any ideas.
Also - It doesn't appear that this product has e-mail support and after going around and around several times on the Tech Support and Customer Support sights I eventually found a link to this Forum. Is that it for Broderbund Support?
Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
RE: Export Failed error in HotSHOT Viewer - 1/9/2007 3:09:39 PM   
ellengard

I have PS21 and had no problem creating a slideshow in the HSV, so I think perhaps your file got corrupted in the finishing part of the process, perhaps due to the number and size of your photos. To determine if the slideshow function works, create a test file by using just 3 or 4 screensize photos. If that works, then you can try again with your own photos, but it may be a good idea to resample any high res photos down to screensize, say 800x600 pixels or 1024x748 pixels. Use the resampled images instead of your original high res photos.

(in reply to Bogart44)
Post #: 2
RE: Export Failed error in HotSHOT Viewer - 1/9/2007 7:08:44 PM   
Bogart44

Thanks for the info. I think you have highlighted my problem. I never thought about reducing the # of photos or the resolution. I had already created a slideshow of the subject photographs (225) in high res and saved it to VCD with other software packages designed specifically for Photos and Video. I was just experimenting with PS21 because I would prefer to do all my creative stuff in one software package. I am basically looking for the package that allows the highest res so that my older friends and relatives who will be viewing them on their 50" - 60" widescreen TV's will still get to appreciate detailed photos. I will still test as you have recommended, since I prefer to have the software I paid for working properly (even though I may in the end choose not to use some of the features). I will let you know how it turns out.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Export Failed error in HotSHOT Viewer - 1/9/2007 10:57:26 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bogart44

... I had already created a slideshow of the subject photographs (225) in high res and saved it to VCD with other software packages designed specifically for Photos and Video... viewing them on their 50" - 60" widescreen TV's...

225 photos with adequate res for viewing on 60" screens.... wowsa. OK, I really don't know what the limit file size is for PrintShop slideshows, but I will go out on a limb and say PrintShop can't do that. Whatever other software packages designed specifically for Photos and Video that you have is better for what you need to do.

PrintShop is primarily a desktop publishing tool. The slideshow is a bonus feature they threw in and therefore has very limited capabilities. For one thing, sound and transitions will not be saved with the slideshow when you burn to CD. Sound and transitions only work when you play the slideshow on your computer. Also, to burn to CD from PrintShop, a limited number of CD burners are supported. That list is somewhere on this forum in a previous thread, not that you need to know what's on the list because the option to burn to CD will be greyed out if your burner is not on the list.

I have a cheapie DVD player that automatically slideshows any CD with JPGs. Totally didn't require that I use any slideshow making programs. I think most DVD players can do this. Of course, with just JPGs, there is no animation nor sound, but perhaps your older friends and relatives are happy just viewing your photos without all the flashy stuff.

(in reply to Bogart44)
Post #: 4
RE: Export Failed error in HotSHOT Viewer - 1/11/2007 8:45:09 AM   
Bogart44

Thanks for your help and insight!
I followed your instructions from your original response and achieved the following:
1) small slideshow with lower res photos, worked fine.
2) 150 hi res photos displayed OK in thumbnail view but in full screen slideshow only the center of photo displayed (full screen and very clear but only part of the photo). I think this is because as you previously noted this is a design package* not total photo manipulation software per se (although it does include Photo Workshop). Hence it views the photos @ their originally created res. At least the FINISH function was working and I did get the slideshow.

* Let me go on record as saying that for $29.99 Can. Print Shop 21 is a pretty impressive package although, as a retired designer, I feel it may be a little too complicated for the average user who is looking to spend $30 to make a few Birthday cards.
When I was "in the business" on my old Win 98 PC (lasted 6 years by golly!) I used MS Publisher 98 in conjunction with Paint Shop Pro 7. Unfortunately Jasc was bought out by Corel so I can't upgrade (the latest version is $199 around here), and MS dropped Publisher after the 2003 version; although you can still get MSPub2003 for $249 at the Staples near me. Go figure! No big deal really, as I'm only fooling around now - don't have to run a business.
I installed Paint Shop Pro7 on my new PC the other day since that version was XP compatible, and it seems to run OK. I was pretty nervous about trying MSPub98 hence the purchase of PS21.
NOTE: (info in case you are interested) The Photo packages I am currently fooling around with are really not that sophisticated either, but the one consistant thing they do, when creating a slideshow, is automatically, in the background, create a copy of the selected photos in .jpg format @ some lesser resolution depending on the program. I'm assuming this (I'm new to XP so not yet familiar with it's idiosincracies - which appear to be many. It seems to be so internet dependant that in my opinion it is a total pain in the butt - sorry I digress!), because after fooling around with the slideshow features in these programs, and later when viewing my original via MYCOMPUTER> MYPICTURES> MY LATEST ALBUM (made that up - not the real name - but you get the idea) there were 25 full or partial copies of my original 250 photos. These were anywhere from 35% to 50% of the original res. Since I didn't create them I assume these programs did while I was deleting/adding/moving photos in the various slideshow creation modules?
Thanks again for the prompt follow up!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Export Failed error in HotSHOT Viewer - 1/11/2007 3:55:27 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bogart44
...* Let me go on record as saying that for $29.99 Can. Print Shop 21 is a pretty impressive package although, as a retired designer, I feel it may be a little too complicated for the average user who is looking to spend $30 to make a few Birthday cards.

I totally agree. In fact, much of PS is repackaged for the home user as PrintMaster and Creating Keepsakes Scrapbook Designer, for about 30% less in price. They still do a lot of the business functions - mail merge, web page building, photo-editing... so yes, I think it's great value. There have been complaints that its built-in bundle of extras isn't as good as PowerPoint (for slideshows), PhotoShop (for photo-editing), Corel Draw (for creating vector graphics), but HEY! those are crazy comparisons to Stand-Alone high-end programs costing 3 to 10x more.

quote:

... XP compatible... nervous about trying MSPub98 hence the purchase of PS21.

I am using MSPub98 on my WinXP system, no problem. I didn't even have to run the XP Compatibility Wizard for it.

quote:

... The Photo packages ...the one consistant thing they do, when creating a slideshow... create a copy of the selected photos in .jpg format @ some lesser resolution depending on the program.

Yes, to not do so would be most UNTYPICAL. Original photo files are left unaltered in their original locations on your hard drive. Imagine the chaos if making a slideshow removed or otherwise changed your digital photos from the Folder, "Our Wedding".

(in reply to Bogart44)
Post #: 6
RE: Export Failed error in HotSHOT Viewer - 1/11/2007 5:02:30 PM   
Bogart44

Great news about Pub98. I am going to install it tomorrow, but I definitely am going to stick with PS21. Just need to use it more to get comfortable with it.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Export/Import >> Export Failed error in HotSHOT Viewer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4