Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Make part of graphic transparent so I can read the text more easily?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM General Functionality >> Make part of graphic transparent so I can read the text more easily? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Make part of graphic transparent so I can read the text... - 2/25/2008 8:12:43 AM   
chelsey5618

I have graphics throughout my entire document. I also have text in the center. I have positioned the graphics behind the text so the text is in front however not really visible. I have tried going into shadow formatting, and setting the transparency level. But when I go into print preview nothing has changed. Is there a way to make part of my graphic transparent so I can read the text more easily?

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 7:13:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Make part of graphic transparent so I can read the ... - 2/25/2008 11:15:18 AM   
lindarobin

Select the graphic you want to alter, then "Apply Photo Effects". Go to Area Effects. Select the area you wish to fade. Check out the different effects that would give you the desired result. Brighten, blur, desaturate, etc. Don't forget that you can increase the intensity of the effect, too. Several effects can be applied, but only one at a time i.e. close the Photo Work shop, then select your graphic again and click "Apply Photo Effects".

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 7:13:44 PM >

(in reply to chelsey5618)
Post #: 2
RE: Make part of graphic transparent so I can read the ... - 2/25/2008 11:25:01 AM   
lindarobin

Sorry, you are using PrintMaster, not Print Shop, so click "Edit Photo".

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 7:13:33 PM >

Post #: 3
RE: Make part of graphic transparent so I can read the ... - 2/25/2008 5:59:41 PM   
lindarobin

Hello, I received your e-mail and I will post my reply here.

You asked:
quote:

...I would like to get my graphics to print to the end of the paper. Every time I go to print preview it shows that there are still margins in place.

You can only print to the edge of the paper using a printer with "borderless" capability. If you have such a printer, go into the printer setup and choose the borderless option. After you do so, you will see that the margins have disappeared on your project. Some printers only offer borderless when using a specific kind of paper stock. That may or may not be a problem depending on the paper you will be using. If your printer cannot do borderless, simply trim off the margins after you've printed the project.

quote:

...I would like to make the graphics in front of the text transparent. But not the whole graphic just the part covered by text.

100% transparent or just washed out looking? Here are three examples of making text easier to read when graphics are in the background. What is your preference?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 7:13:23 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Make part of graphic transparent so I can read the ... - 2/26/2008 7:33:44 AM   
chelsey5618

The bottom example is what I am trying to accomplish. I tried your advise, but that only let me make the whole graphic transparent not just a part of it.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 7:13:10 PM >

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 5
RE: Make part of graphic transparent so I can read the ... - 2/26/2008 9:48:27 AM   
lindarobin

If you faded the whole graphic, then you did not go to "Area Effects" as I advised.

The graphic is not being made transparent. It is being washed out. It is still 100% opaque i.e. anything layered underneath cannot be seen. PrintMaster can crop out a section of a graphic, making that section 100% transparent. Only in a more sophisticated photo-editor can you do semi-transparencies e.g. 1% to 99% opacity.

So what we're trying to accomplish here is an illusion of semi-transparency.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 7:13:00 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Make part of graphic transparent so I can read the ... - 2/26/2008 10:29:36 AM   
lindarobin

Actually, editing a copy of the whole graphic can work for you. Then you can use the features in the "Brightness & Focus" tab. Then you can crop to a specific section of it and layer it over the original graphic. It's like adding a puzzle piece.

Now your text can be layered on that edited cropped piece.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 6/20/2010 7:12:48 PM >

Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM General Functionality >> Make part of graphic transparent so I can read the text more easily? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4