Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Problem with overflow

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC General Functionality >> Problem with overflow Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problem with overflow - 5/15/2014 1:15:09 PM   
Emergency911

I have used an older version of Calendar Creater for years. Now I had to upgrade to v12.1 (for Windows 7). I use the calendar for scheduling of our 24/7 dispatch, where we have as many as 9 or 10 dispatchers on at a time. This is the same way I have done our schedule in the past, using a 6 week schedule. But now, I can only see 2 or 3 of my "events" (i.e. dispatcher name and start time) and the rest goes into overflow. How can I get all of the names to show up on the schedule and printing?

My I.T. tech tried to import some old data into the new. Not everything transerred. I have taken the time to rebuild the 2014 schedule for all dispatchers names, but only a few names are showing up in the events. However when I go into File, Preferences, and choose split screen, I only see a few names - not all that I built. But when I go to Events and click event list, I see everyone that I built. Please help!

Carmin L Love
Post #: 1
RE: Problem with overflow - 5/15/2014 3:05:29 PM   
DEJenc3

I'm having difficulty understanding or visualizing what kind of calendar you are using. I don't know if you are looking at a month or week or day at a time, or some custom view that you have created. I assume you've exhausted all options for squeezing as much data into a cell as possible, and if you haven't, we can direct you to past discussions on that issue.

Please note that on the split screen, you will see only events that fit into the time constraints of the current calendar view you are using. For example, if you have a week view, you will see only entries for that week. If you look at the event list, you should see all.

Importing data (events, I've assumed) can sometimes run into problems if some of the fields are null. Review the data to see if this could have been an issue.

I am going to be away for the rest of the day, so you may not see an answer right away, at least from me. It's possible that if you post more information, one of the other people who view the forum will have a thought. Otherwise I will try to respond tomorrow.

David

(in reply to Emergency911)
Post #: 2
RE: Problem with overflow - 5/16/2014 6:16:38 AM   
Emergency911

I am using a normal multi-week schedule (6 weeks). How do I "squeeze as much into a cell as possible"? While the cell is large enough, it has a lot of blank space and only shows 2 or 3 names, while additional names go into overflow. On the older version, I built my "events" - which were names of dispatchers and their start times (8am, 4pm, and 12am). I also made events for each persons scheduled vacation, personal, sick and comp time off. I also add Payroll and Holiday as an event. I should be able to see 9 names in a cell, plus a couple of events below, like Smith Vac or Payroll. But that is not the case. I just need to know how to get the information to show up. When I look at my current (Calendar Creator) schedule, I see a 6 weeks view, and each day shows coverage for each of our 3 shifts. I hope you can help me with this. Thanks.

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 3
RE: Problem with overflow - 5/16/2014 6:49:06 AM   
DEJenc3

Here is a link to a thread that gives a lot of tips on squeezing information onto a calendar page. This should help with at least some of your concerns. You'll want to look at page margins as well as the other features of cell formatting.
http://forums.encoreusa.com/postnumber.asp?id=40890

I don't think you mentioned the size of the calendar that you are trying to print. A 6-week layout doesn't give a lot of room for text on an 8.5 x 11 sheet of office paper, if that's what you are using.

When you mentioned entering the names of dispatchers and start times: are the times entered using the event's time feature, or simply entered as text? You could experiment entering the time both ways to see if one compresses the event more than the other.

David

Post #: 4
RE: Problem with overflow - 5/16/2014 8:22:32 AM   
Emergency911

I print it on one 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. Like I said, it worked great in the old software. I am entering the start times in the event as I create it, building one for each of the dispatchers for each of the shifts they have to work. I will try this link, and if that doesn't help me, I may be back to you. Thank you for your help. The old software was so easy, and I'm sure this will be, too, after I learn how to use it.

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 5
RE: Problem with overflow - 5/16/2014 10:22:00 AM   
Emergency911

I was able to change the size of the cells, but the data still isn't showing (only 2 - 3 names as before, with everything else going into overflow). There just isn't enough information on overflow. Surely there is a way to make this version work like the old did.

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 6
RE: Problem with overflow - 5/16/2014 12:23:31 PM   
DEJenc3

I drafted a sample of a 6-week, multiweek calendar with 6 events appearing in a cell, though in tiny print. A screen shot follows.

For the grid properties, I used the font Times New Roman Western, size 11, italic, which sets the format of the month and day for each day. In the Miscellaneous tab, I've selected "Fit event cell size to description."

For the event properties, I have the font set to Arial Western, 5 point (a very small size).

I was able to get six names to appear, along with a starting time for each.

If I were to modify this calendar for actual use, here are some tweaks that I would make:

I would make it landscape, which would probably give a better display of the names, and might make it possible to increase the event font size. Tips here:
http://forums.encoreusa.com/fb.asp?m=44374

I would consider reducing the size of the font for the day in the grid properties.

You will want to set the calendar grid as movable so that you can resize it. That's done by clicking in the border of the calendar grid; when you see little boxes appear, right-click and change the choice Set Movable.

You can also use that process to change the size of other objects, such as the title and text box ("Weekly Planner").

I would delete the text box for "Weekly Planner" unless a title is important to you. If so, change the text to something appropriate.

You can elect not to show holidays. Holidays might create a problem if you tried to have 6 events in a cell, plus a holiday.

I would delete the footer, or shrink its font and box, and expand the grid into that space (though I like to see the date a calendar is printed).

Let us know if we're on the right track here.

Attachment (1)

David

Post #: 7
RE: Problem with overflow - 5/16/2014 1:34:49 PM   
DEJenc3

An additional comment:
In Calendar Creator preferences (File, Preferences), check the Overflow tab. In my case, I have each checkbox active, and I have entered "6" after "Reduce the font size till". (6 is the minimum font size that can be entered.)

David

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 8
RE: Problem with overflow - 5/16/2014 3:05:21 PM   
ellengard

This workaround might work for you. Eight lines of text (Arial 10pt) print. However, I entered all the text as one event.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC General Functionality >> Problem with overflow Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4