Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Incorrectly formatted field name information

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Export/Import >> Incorrectly formatted field name information Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Incorrectly formatted field name information - 8/6/2015 6:10:52 PM   
suetoo

I am using PrintMaster Platinum 18 on a Windows 7 machine with OpenOffice Calc 4.0.0 as my spreadsheet. I just updated OpenOffice this morning in the hopes it would fix the error I'm getting. It didn't. Same error.

I'm trying to import an addressbook into PrintMaster. I get the error...

"The field name information in the file you have specified is missing or not correctly formatted.

The first line of the file must contain the database field names. Make sure the "Export Field Names" (or similar) option is selected in the program from which you are exporting data."

Obviously, PM thinks it isn't. This isn't my first rodeo. I've been saving my spreadsheet to a .csv file and importing to PM for years. I have no idea what changed. I can tell you what I've tried to fix it. Made sure "Automatically find column and row labels" was selected in Tools > Options > Calc > Calculate:. With and without that box selected I've tried various versions of Insert > Names > Define and defining labels for each column.

The latest version of OpenOffice only exports to pdf and certainly doesn't give me any options remotely like "Export Field Names".

Does anyone have a clue if this is an OpenOffice issue or a PrintMaster issue and, better yet, how to solve it?

Thank you,
Sue

< Message edited by suetoo -- 8/6/2015 6:37:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Incorrectly formatted field name information - 8/7/2015 12:22:49 PM   
JasonC

Newer versions of Open Office has changed the way MS Office formatting occurs in the program and as a result when saving the file, it may not save anymore if you try to save it as a Excel document format due to the way the formatting is now handled. You may wish to try going back a few versions and see if this solves the issue.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to suetoo)
Post #: 2
RE: Incorrectly formatted field name information - 8/7/2015 1:42:31 PM   
suetoo

Thank you. I've gone back and installed ever earlier versions of OpenOffice until I had gotten to 3.2. It still fails and I don't have any earlier versions stashed on my machine. Can you suggest a spreadsheet program (cheap or free works best for me, right now) that does export with the correct formatting?

Sue

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 3
RE: Incorrectly formatted field name information - 8/7/2015 2:47:51 PM   
ellengard

Since the csv file is giving you problems, what about trying another format, such as txt?

Re: your csv file (sorry if this is an obvious question), have you verified that the field names in the first line EXACTLY match the PrintMaster field names?

(in reply to suetoo)
Post #: 4
RE: Incorrectly formatted field name information - 8/7/2015 4:31:01 PM   
suetoo

Thank you. Yes, the headers appear to match exactly - at least for the visible characters. Do any of you know what the latest version of OpenOffice that does save properly is? Current versions seem to think .csv are the only text options anyone could possibly want. On the other hand, it almost seems like Printmaster is stuck. Is there a way to make sure the error is cleared between trials? Do you know where and how it stores its error conditions? Really. This used to work just fine for me and not all that long ago.

Sue

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Incorrectly formatted field name information - 8/7/2015 5:59:47 PM   
suetoo

I've read online about free file converters and have tried one. Still get the error message. Can someone tell me what the addressbook import file *SHOULD* look like and I'll write my own? If it works, I'll share.

Sue

(in reply to suetoo)
Post #: 6
RE: Incorrectly formatted field name information - 8/7/2015 6:36:44 PM   
suetoo

Got it!!! Of course the issue had nothing to do with the header! The work around isn't even all that odious. Okay. In OpenOffice, save to .csv, like normal. Do not choose to add quotes. Do choose for numbers to be as they appear. Once you have a .csv file, open it in notepad. Choose edit > Replace. In the Replace dialog box fill in the "Find what:" box with four commas (,,,,). Leave the "Replace with:" box blank and select Replace All. This will strip the four trailing commas from each line which is what has caused the issue. The resulting .csv file imports just like it should.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Sue

(in reply to suetoo)
Post #: 7
RE: Incorrectly formatted field name information - 8/7/2015 11:04:50 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: suetoo
... the headers appear to match exactly - at least for the visible characters... strip the four trailing commas from each line which is what has caused the issue...

Thanks for sharing your solution. Extra characters that aren't part of the headers or data would certainly mess up the import.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 8/7/2015 11:10:02 PM >

(in reply to suetoo)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM Export/Import >> Incorrectly formatted field name information Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4