Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing from CSV file

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing from CSV file Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing fro... - 2/16/2017 3:05:54 PM   
samplevi

I have just started using PS23.1. In trying to insert mail merge field into a document I find that the fields that are listed in the drop down box do not match the fields in the actual address book. Also choosing a field which is showing as containing values in the addressbook screen does not always show thar info in the document. In addition when choosing a field with a specific name that field name does not appear in the document but rather some other filed name.
Post #: 1
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/16/2017 3:08:22 PM   
JasonC

What operating system are you running?

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 2
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/16/2017 3:12:06 PM   
samplevi

Windows 7 prof

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 3
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/16/2017 4:09:36 PM   
ellengard

Your CSV file's first row must be headers that EXACTLY match the headers in the PSv23.1 Address Book. Edit your CSV file accordingly (with NotePad preferably to prevent unwanted formatting).

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 4
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/16/2017 4:30:39 PM   
samplevi

do ALL the headers have to match if you have data in some of the headers. I will give this a try. Thanks

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/17/2017 1:50:27 PM   
samplevi

Still a bit confused and unsuccessful. When you first create a new address book you get a form with headers which I assume are the addressbook fields. When you try to import a csv file you get a box that ask you to match the addressbook fields with the import file fields as described by the files header line. The addressbook field in the import screen do not match the fields in the addressbook screen. In additon when inserting merge fields into a document the choices offered do not match the fields in either of the 2 afore mentioned screens. I've attached a file that indicates the mismatches mentioned in the first part of this post. Thanks

Attachment (1)

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 6
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/17/2017 4:06:09 PM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: samplevi

Still a bit confused and unsuccessful. When you first create a new address book you get a form with headers which I assume are the addressbook fields. When you try to import a csv file you get a box that ask you to match the addressbook fields with the import file fields as described by the files header line. The addressbook field in the import screen do not match the fields in the addressbook screen. In additon when inserting merge fields into a document the choices offered do not match the fields in either of the 2 afore mentioned screens. I've attached a file that indicates the mismatches mentioned in the first part of this post. Thanks

Kind of a stupid suggestion but could you try to add all the fields to import and see what happens?

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 7
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/17/2017 4:20:27 PM   
ellengard

quote:

When you first create a new address book you get a form with headers which I assume are the addressbook fields.

Correct

quote:

When you try to import a csv file you get a box that ask you to match the addressbook fields with the import file fields as described by the files header line.

Correct. That is why I suggested that you edit your CSV file by changing the field names to exactly match those that already exist in the PS Address Book. I personally find it easier to do it this way. Then you don't get this message asking you to manually match unknown field names.

Create your PS Address Book and create custom field names to accommodate those unique fields in your CSV. Create new field names using the custom fields, to make this happen. When your CSV field names finally match the PS field names, the import goes without a hitch.

You have to open your CSV file in notepad to actually see what you are trying to import, to understand this.

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 8
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/21/2017 3:18:22 PM   
samplevi

Okay that part worked as you can see from the attached files. I hae 3 custom fields in the addressbook which I called size, Material, Color and Thickness. In the addressbook screen I eliminated all theother columns and left only those 3. I edited mycsv file to make the headers exactly match the 3 columns in the addressbook as indicated in the files attached. That part worked well all the info is visible on the Addresbbok screen as yo can see from the files attached. NOw here's where it gets hairy :-) When I try to insert those 3 fields into my document they don't even appear on the list of addressbook fields to be inserted see attached files. and further when I put a random field from the list into the document the name that appears in the place holder does not match the name on the adressbook field.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 9
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/21/2017 3:22:20 PM   
samplevi

here is the second illustration
quote:

Okay that part worked as you can see from the attached files. I hae 3 custom fields in the addressbook which I called size, Material, Color and Thickness. In the addressbook screen I eliminated all theother columns and left only those 3. I edited mycsv file to make the headers exactly match the 3 columns in the addressbook as indicated in the files attached. That part worked well all the info is visible on the Addresbbok screen as yo can see from the files attached. NOw here's where it gets hairy :-) When I try to insert those 3 fields into my document they don't even appear on the list of addressbook fields to be inserted see attached files. and further when I put a random field from the list into the document the name that appears in the place holder does not match the name on the adressbook field.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 10
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/21/2017 9:12:20 PM   
ellengard

Sorry, Sam, I thought I had this figured out, but realized AARGH, I did it for Print Shop 4.0! So I will start over with version 23.1 and will post my findings when I'm done. One thing I remember about this old program's Address Book and Mail Merge, is that it doesn't work if you don't have First Name and Last Name filled in for each record. I'll be back.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 2/21/2017 10:12:45 PM >

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 11
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/21/2017 10:08:12 PM   
ellengard

OK, I think I may have a workaround solution for you. I say workaround because I don't see a way to turn the Mail Merge feature into a printing tool for non-address type data. (It may be preferable to use a database program.)

Print Shop23.1 is an old program, but the Ultimate Mail Manager within it is so much older and hasn't changed since its Win95 days.

After testing some things, my conclusion is that when doing the mail merge, the Address Book Fields that show up are what they are regardless of the Custom Field names we add to the Address Book. It did not matter that I created a custom field name "color". It does not show up.

Because of this, I decided to use the easy to find, pre-existing fields:
Secondary Address Line 1
Secondary Address Line 2
Secondary City

for my size, thickness, color values. This worked out fine. I was able to print labels displaying my size, thickness, and color values. However, in order to select the records, there must be first name, last name values.

Edit your CSV headers to say:
Secondary Address Line 1
Secondary Address Line 2
Secondary City

Select these Address Book Fields when you want to print your size, thickness, and color values.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 2/27/2017 1:15:32 AM >

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 12
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/21/2017 10:29:25 PM   
ellengard

I wanted to use "Additional Custom Field 1" through to "Additional Custom Field 15" since they are easy to find in the Mail Merge Fields box, but I couldn't see where the heck these are in the Address Book!

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 13
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/24/2017 1:33:41 PM   
samplevi

First of all Thnks for your efforts.
Tried your suggestions and changed the headers of my csv file. The problemis that when I choose Secondary Address Line 1 the field senders phone comes up with no data.
Also in the Addressbook itself the title of the field is 2nd Address line 1. It seems one part of the program is not talking to the other. I'll have to play with it some more and maybe I'll stumble on a workable solution. In truth with the time I've already spent n this I would have been better off just entering all the information into a new addressbook :-)

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say the First name and Last Name field has to have data in it. In the addressbbok the column Name is broken down into first name MI and Last name. Do I need to import data into those fields in which case how will changing my headers in my csv file help ?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 14
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/24/2017 2:35:09 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... when I choose Secondary Address Line 1 the field senders phone comes up...

Yes, certainly seems your Address Book is corrupted. I am fairly certain it is because you did not import any First Name and Last Name data. That might explain why the fields have shifted position.

quote:

I'll have to play with it some more and maybe I'll stumble on a workable solution. In truth with the time I've already spent n this I would have been better off just entering all the information into a new addressbook :-)

I really think a database program is more suitable for your purposes. Open Office has a good one and it's free.

quote:

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say the First name and Last Name field has to have data in it.

Without them, the mail merge won't work. If you ever get to the part where you want to print, the program will ask you to select the contact names. No names = no can do.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 2/27/2017 1:17:55 AM >

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 15
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/24/2017 2:46:09 PM   
ellengard

You actually should start a new test Address Book. Enter data into it manually, as I described in post #12. Just do three records, to make this a short test. Then try to print your "labels".

This exercise will help you get that "ah-ha!" moment.

BTW, if you have no contact name data, enter sequential numbers in place of. i.e. 001, 002, 003, etc. or make up a unique name for every record.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 2/27/2017 1:20:54 AM >

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 16
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/26/2017 8:20:13 AM   
samplevi

I actually did try that with the same dismal results. tried with two names maybe I need to use three. I'll play with it some more just for the challenge but just so I understand I should still use the three field to import that u suggested Secondary ... etc. In addition to those three fields which will correspond to the headers in my csv file I need to input data into the First and last name fields in the addressbook. I am also not sure about the significance of the fact that the in the addressbook the name of the field is secondary address line 1 and choosing the merge field to enter into the document the choice given is 2nd address line 1. or the other way around. Are these fields the same even thought the actual names differ slightly? thanks again for your patience and suggestions

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 17
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/26/2017 8:24:55 AM   
samplevi

will open office work with printshop 23.1 in terms of creating merge records. I use Micosoft access would that work as a data base to merge my records.

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 18
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/26/2017 2:41:05 PM   
ellengard

quote:

I use Micosoft access would that work as a data base to merge my records.

If I had known that you have one of the best database programs already, I would have been more forceful in recommending you use it. I thought you were struggling to create a database with the limited features of an address book, because you had no budget to procure a database program.

Use MS Access for your database. It has all the tools you need to import data and create reports. Go to the Microsoft forums for help with Access.

I do not recommend using an address book for keeping track of product records with size, color, material, thickness, etc. data because all your data fields names have to be one of these names in the left column:

Do you really want to have to remember that "Secondary Address Line1" is the field for your size values, and "Secondary Address Line2" is the field for your thickness values, and on and on. Sure it works, but why bother with it when you actually have a more suitable program?

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 2/26/2017 7:34:47 PM >

(in reply to samplevi)
Post #: 19
RE: PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing... - 2/26/2017 3:30:49 PM   
samplevi

Is what you are suggesting that I use MS access exclusive of Printshop or together with printshop and just import my merge fields from my access database. If the former then I think I made a mistake in purchasing printshop 23.1 in that I only purchased it as a backup for my printmaster 15 which is really old and the fact that I can import my projects from printmaster to printshop. This I understand is not possible with the more current versions of either printmaster or printshop .If the latter then I have the best of both worlds in that can I use my printmaster projects in a somewhat newr program and be able to merge my information into the projects that require that info.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> PRINTSHOP 23.1 - Addressbook creation and importing from CSV file Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4