Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

project file too big

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM General Functionality >> project file too big Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
project file too big - 6/9/2009 8:25:33 PM   
marek

Hello,

I'm having trouble opening my .sbp project file. It was made/is running on PrintMaster 18 Gold. I have a feeling the file is now too large and Print Master will no longer open it.
What I see is print master opens, stays unresponsive for quite a while. In the task manager you can see the memory usage jump up to 1.9~Gb. Then it quickly drops down and the program vanishes and exits.

I have tried it on several systems. On one I was able to open it only once, and when I went to export it as a PDF it crashed. (The computer had other issues). Otherwise its like the description above now where it just vanishses.

On another system, again i've only managed to open it *only* once. But due to running out of disk space during the PDF export it also crashed. After that no luck. Similar things happen. Memory usage slowly goes up and and then the program vanishes. Since it CAN open the file and i've seen it twice I know the file is not corrupt. PrintMaster is doing something I cannot figure out. Even backups of the same file (current revision, not the much older ones)

I have tried on two other computers and again PrintMaster just closes. On these I have never had luck. I have literally tried opening the file hundreds of times now with no luck.

Other bits of information:

Print spools/queues are empty. I wiped all user settings. Even tried reinstalling. Still can't get it to open.

Both systems run Windows XP 32-bit
The first system has 2Gb of ram, the other 3.5Gb.
Both new in terms of CPU / HD / etc.

I have killed all processes to free up memory. No luck.

I get no error messages.

The project is about 450Mb, has 230+ Pages, and is very Image heavy. It was supposed to be printed a while ago, but I can no longer open the file.

Are there any fixes or suggestions on how I can open it?

Thanks!

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 8/14/2010 10:03:03 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Opening a large file - 6/9/2009 9:00:41 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: marek
On one I was able to open it only once, and when I went to export it as a PDF it crashed...
The project is about 450Mb, has 230+ Pages...

I work in a store that provides desktop publishing and I can tell you that a file that large will probably crash the computer - it doesn't matter if the program is PrintMaster, MS Publisher or Adobe Photoshop.

Since you have been able to open this file on two occasions, the good news is that the file isn't corrupted, in which case, all would be lost.

If you can install PM on a computer with even more RAM (got friends with hi-end computers?), you MAY be able to open the file. If that happens, you must take the opportunity to break your project up into smaller projects, for example, make each project only 30 pages. Once you have these smaller files, you'll be able to print and create PDFs.

I would make 10 copies of the file with different filenames. Then open the first one in PrintMaster and delete all but pages 1-30. Save and close.

Then open the second copy in PrintMaster and delete all but pages 31-60. Save and close.

And so on.

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 6/9/2009 9:04:48 PM >

(in reply to marek)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [PrintMaster 18.1 and older] >> PM General Functionality >> project file too big Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4