Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Print Shop Stopped

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Print Shop Stopped Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Print Shop Stopped - 12/10/2012 5:20:33 PM   
Eclecticats

I made up a Christmas Card with lots of cliparts. I just went to add a new clipart and get this message on the attached file.

Then when I try to retrieve the file, I get the same message and cannot access the file. It is corrupted.

Lucky I have Carbonite and I always have a backup saved.

I cannot add a new clipart because this keeps happing.

Every time I do, it does this and I have to restore the file and start again and after I get the new clipart and
resize it and save, POOF!! I get the message again and lose every thing again.
I then restore and do it again and again it happens, the file keeps getting corruped and I can't access it.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/10/2012 10:38:26 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eclecticats
I made up a Christmas Card with lots of cliparts.

I cannot add a new clipart... Every time I do... and save, POOF!! I get the message again and lose every thing again... the file keeps getting corruped and I can't access it.

Perhaps the file size of this project or the number of layers is past the maximum that the program can handle.

Try exporting the project as high res JPG or GIF. Then open a new blank card project and import the JPG. Now you should be able to add more elements. A JPG is one flat image which is replacing x number of images on x number of layers.

(in reply to Eclecticats)
Post #: 2
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 6:55:27 AM   
Eclecticats

Thank you very much. That worked. I was able to export the 4 parts of the card to a JPG and then inserted into
new blank card. I was then able to insert new clipart and photos.

Thanks again.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 10:35:21 AM   
ellengard

You're welcome! This technique of flattening layers of graphics always simplifies a project. It can also help when a printer seems to take forever spooling the print job.

Keep the original unflattened project so you can always go back and edit the individual elements.

Post #: 4
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 10:46:50 AM   
Eclecticats

I did keep them in the original card and in a file, always on Carbonite.

I must say that it wasn't for Carbonite, I would have had to start all over from scratch as I had to do in the past
before carbonite.

Since the project gets corrupted when that happens you can never access it again.
But, since it was on Carbonite, I just restored it to the latest version before being corrupted.

Now, because of this problem, I have Carbonite immediately back the project up after every change, this way I will
always have the latest one to restore.

My Christmas cards printing on the BEST color selection and printing double sided automatically always took a long time
to print. Will my cards now print faster because of the way I made this card?

Thanks again for all your help

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 11:57:52 AM   
ellengard

quote:

My Christmas cards printing on the BEST color selection and printing double sided automatically always took a long time to print. Will my cards now print faster because of the way I made this card?

The larger and the more complicated a project is, the longer it takes to process the information for the printer. A 10 page text document can start printing almost immediately because of its simplicity to process. On the other hand, one double-sided greeting card may take 5 minutes before it starts to print.

Simplifying your project (e.g. using one JPG in place of many layered graphics) should reduce the amount of processing time for your printer.

Avoid converting text to JPG. Text always prints sharper when it is not converted to a graphic. Graphics add to file size much more so than text.

It is more work to isolate only the graphics for JPG export which is why I didn't go into the details earlier. If you are interested, we can discuss.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/11/2012 12:11:56 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 12:45:54 PM   
Eclecticats

I did not make a JPG of my text. I only copied and pasted. I know that text does not come out good as a graphic.
I had tried it a long time ago.

I have been using Print Shop since it was on 3 1/2 disks. I cannot stand 3.0. I loved all the 20 series and that's why
I am keeping the last one 23.1. I tried using 3.0 but it is not as smooth as the 20 series ones.

I love Print Shop 6. But it won't work on Windows 7. I have a copy on my old laptop which uses Windows XP, but I am
having trouble with Print Shop 6 all of a sudden.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 1:00:00 PM   
ellengard

quote:

...I love Print Shop 6. But it won't work on Windows 7. I have a copy on my old laptop which uses Windows XP, but I am having trouble with Print Shop 6 all of a sudden.

PS6 was designed for Win95. My guess is that PS6 worked on WinXP until the last few XP updates were installed. I had a couple of older programs that stopped working after XP service pack 3.

Now with Win8 out, PS23.1 won't run on it, only PS3.0. Hang onto your Win7 as long as you can!

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/11/2012 1:02:38 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 1:04:23 PM   
Eclecticats

Thank you, I will. I wish they wouldn't do this. They have a great product and then ruin it.
We as consumers should have more of a say in what is destroyed. We are the users of it, not them.

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukka, Happy New Year

Everyone waits for my Christmas Cards every year. I started making them
since I had Print Shop 6.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 9
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 2:57:22 PM   
ellengard

Encore and Broderbund don't want their programs to become incompatible with new operating systems any more than we do, as consumers. I expect we'll see big improvements with the Win8 programs in the new year. They are still working out the bugs.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/11/2012 3:05:12 PM >

Post #: 10
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 3:11:45 PM   
ellengard

quote:

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukka, Happy New Year

Everyone waits for my Christmas Cards every year. I started making them
since I had Print Shop 6.

I love making my Christmas cards, too. This year, I used a free download template from the printshoppacks.com site. I altered it for 4x6 prints which are so reasonably priced anywhere they do digital photo developing.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/11/2012 3:17:21 PM >

Post #: 11
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 7:41:25 PM   
Eclecticats

This is the kind of Christmas cards I make up every year. It gets harder and harder to come
up with different ideas. This year I had a theme, because we moved and it gave me an
opportunity to send cards and let friends know my new address at the same time.

I also make up Birthday & Anniversary cards for relatives and friends by putting their faces on top
of cartoon pictures that represents something they do, like a hobby, etc.

That's why I love Print Shop 23.1, it has a great FREEHAND cropping tool.

I also use Hallmark Card Software to made cards, but most of the time use the Print Shop cropping tool and
copy it to the Hallmark card and fine tune the cropping.

Here is the Front of this year's Christmas card. I had to reduce it to a very small size in order to upload it.
They are actually as large as a Half Fold Greeting Card.
Since only one is allowed at a time, I will send the inside and back in separate reply.

I have enjoyed chatting with you.

Rose

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 12
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 7:42:50 PM   
Eclecticats

I forgot to mention, your card came out great.

Here is the inside of the card.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 13
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 7:44:00 PM   
Eclecticats

Here is what is all the backs of the cards I make. Only the date changes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 14
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 9:02:39 PM   
ellengard

quote:

It gets harder and harder to come up with different ideas.

Thanks for sharing your Christmas card, Rose! Your cat as a caroler - LOL.

Re: Christmas card ideas. For many years, I would buy cards after Christmas for up to 75% off. I customized them to make unique Christmas greeting cards that minimized my ink and paper costs.

For one year, I used a card that showed a stylized house totally decked out with Christmas decorations, with lots of snow, Santa, the works. I printed a photo of my kids waving from behind our own front window, then glued my photo onto the card, exactly replacing the front window that originally was on the card.

Another year, I used a card with 3 shiny silver metallic boxes, each with a letter on it, so they spelled JOY. I cut the boxes on the top, right and bottom, and folded the left side, so that each box opened like a door. When you opened the doors, you revealed a photo of each person in my family.

I especially liked using cards that had shiny metallic colors and textured embossing since that's not something my printer can duplicate. Typically, I ended up spending $4.00 for the cards with envelopes included and whatever it cost to print 2 sheets of photo paper which gave me enough duplicates to make a couple dozen cards.

quote:

That's why I love Print Shop 23.1, it has a great FREEHAND cropping tool.

I have a Wacom pen graphics tablet which is great for freehand cropping. It's easy to trace an outline with a pen compared to a mouse. It's designed for creating digital art, but I use it all the time instead of a regular mouse because it doesn't cause the stress that leads to carpal tunnel syndrome. I think you would love using a graphics pen with Print Shop 23.1

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/11/2012 9:23:55 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Print Shop Stopped - 12/11/2012 10:52:52 PM   
ellengard

quote:

...I tried using 3.0 but it is not as smooth as the 20 series ones.

They're still working on improving 3.0. I like a lot of the art that comes with it. For example, here's a card made with the frames tool and a JOY clipart.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/11/2012 10:55:05 PM >

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Print Shop Stopped Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4