Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Print Alignment Problem

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> Print Alignment Problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Print Alignment Problem - 4/14/2015 12:16:23 PM   
Barb T.

After using various versions of PrintMaster throughout the years, I decided to purchase PrintShop 3.5 Deluxe for my new Windows 8.1 PC. I'm using a Lexmark Pinnacle Pro 901 printer which worked seamlessly with PrintMaster 18 and other applications I use. As an example, USPS labels print out perfectly.

My problem is, I cannot figure out how to get my projects to properly align on a page. I've tried printing full sheet labels, cards and newsletters using the PrintShop Projects included and nothing will print out correctly. When I print the alignment test page, it prints out perfectly. I've even tried creating my own label template and still cannot get it to print out right. I've checked every setting that I can find in the software and my printer. I've tried making adjustments in the Print Alignment options to try to compensate for the difference. I have the latest Pinnacle Pro drivers for Windows 8.1.

I can usually figure out things, but this problem has me stumped. I've checked the forums for both 3.0 and 3.5 for an answer but no one else seems to be having the same problem so I must be overlooking something very simple, I just need a nudge in the right direction. If I could only resolve this problem, I think I would really like using PrintShop.

Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Print Alignment Problem - 4/14/2015 2:02:47 PM   
ellengard

When you say nothing will print correctly, is it consistently the same alignment problem? e.g. always 5mm to the left? Or is it always something different? e.g. too far down, not 100% to scale, one side cut off, etc.?

(in reply to Barb T.)
Post #: 2
RE: Print Alignment Problem - 4/14/2015 5:08:32 PM   
Barb T.

Yes, it seems to be consistently the same, approximately .25" up to far and .25" too far to the left. Don't know if this will offer any insight or not but I followed your suggestion from a prior post. I saved the project as a .pdf file and to my surprise, I found the labels printed in perfect alignment. The problem with printing the labels this way is that I don't always need to print a full page of labels. Most of the time I need to print just a few and at different positions on the page. If this is the only way I can align labels, is there some way to print just a few at a time?

Just to make sure, I also saved a half-fold PrintShop project as a .pdf file and it printed in the center. I then printed the same half-fold project (.PSproj) and the result was approximately off the .25" from the top and from the left but I discovered something surprising, the graphics on the card was about .25" smaller than the graphic on the .pdf project! I didn't try it, but I see that I can change the output size for the card but not for the labels--that option is greyed out. Am I on the right track?

Thanks again for your help.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: Print Alignment Problem - 4/14/2015 6:33:46 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb T.
Yes, it seems to be consistently the same, approximately .25" up to far and .25" too far to the left... I saved the project as a .pdf file and to my surprise, I found the labels printed in perfect alignment.

This suggests to me that the Print Shop program and your printer driver are not 100% compatible. As you have already updated your printer driver, I don't have a suggestion for a fix, only an imperfect workaround: Move everything .25" down and to the right.

quote:

I don't always need to print a full page of labels. Most of the time I need to print just a few and at different positions on the page.

If you don't already have a PDF printer, download the free one at http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
Then you can use the print options for printing select labels when you print to the CutePDF printer.

(in reply to Barb T.)
Post #: 4
RE: Print Alignment Problem - 4/14/2015 6:53:32 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... I discovered something surprising, the graphics on the card was about .25" smaller than the graphic on the .pdf project! I didn't try it, but I see that I can change the output size for the card...

Output size is to allow for poster printing http://www.printshop.com/blog/2014/11/1/poster-printing.aspx

If the output size is 100% (which is the correct default setting), but your card project prints at a smaller scale, that could explain why everything looks shifted to the upper left. Again this suggests an incompatibility between the program and your printer driver, with the result that everything shrinks towards the upper left corner.

You may have to rely on making PDFs as there seems to be no compatibility issues with Adobe Reader and your printer driver.

(in reply to Barb T.)
Post #: 5
RE: Print Alignment Problem - 4/14/2015 7:02:01 PM   
ellengard

Oh, darn, there is an incompatibility issue with select label printing and Win 8.1. Please see this thread with a workaround solution:
http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=47808

(in reply to Barb T.)
Post #: 6
RE: Print Alignment Problem - 4/14/2015 8:14:41 PM   
Barb T.

I was concerned the incompatibility issue was my problem but I'd be happy to use the workaround you mention. When you say "move everything down and to the right," do you mean move the text box in my project down and over by that much? or is there a setting somewhere I'm not seeing? I've already tried to make the adjustment in the Print Alignment option. I may have done it incorrectly. I'll also check into the PDF printer and the the workaround for select label printing.

Thanks again!

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: Print Alignment Problem - 4/14/2015 8:27:32 PM   
ellengard

quote:

When you say "move everything down and to the right," do you mean move the text box in my project down and over by that much?

Yes. I think this "compensating offset" will work for signs and label sheets. Not sure it'll work for cards because of the folding, and because half-fold cards are generally printed on the paper in landscape orientation.

(in reply to Barb T.)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.5 >> Print Alignment Problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4