Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> PrintMaster 2012 >> PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/21/2012 10:41:14 AM   
taylorjbjr

I bought my 93 yo mom PM 2012 so could email her finished projects such as cards & envelopes to print out. Will my older (PM 18 Gold, PM 8 etc) projects be compatible? Local stores do not have PM 2012 in stock so I bought PM Platinum 5.0 instead. What are the differences between the two? I'll have no problems returning PM Platinum 5.0 & ordering PM 2012 from this store. Will any of my PM software work with Windows 8?

Thanks,
jbt
Post #: 1
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/21/2012 12:16:00 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi taylor,

As to where you said this:

"I bought my 93 yo mom PM 2012 so could email her finished projects such as cards & envelopes to print out. Will my older (PM 18 Gold, PM 8 etc) projects be compatible?"

It is very important to keep in mind that PrintMaster 2012 is not a true upgrade of any previous version of PrintMaster - except PrintMaster 2.0 & PrintMaster 2011. Instead, PrintMaster 2012 is a completely redesigned product which works in an entirely different manner than all PrintMaster 18.1 and earlier versions of PrintMaster. And, Projects created with any PM 18.1 or earlier product cannot be opened in PrintMaster 2012.

"Local stores do not have PM 2012 in stock so I bought PM Platinum 5.0 instead. What are the differences between the two?"

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been a PrintMaster 5. Instead, if you will click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=37111

you will see that the ONLY currently known PrintMaster versions are:

PrintMaster 2, 3, 4

PrintMaster 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18

PrintMaster 2.0 & 2011 & 2012

Since the first version of PrintMaster that was released by Broderbund was PrintMaster 7, I am not able to provide any specific thoughts about PrintMaster 5 - other than to say that if the copyright date on your PrintMaster 5 disc is earlier than 2001, you purchased a VERY OLD product. And, if that is the case, my guess would be that you will not be able to successfully install that product on either a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or a 64-bit version of Windows 8.

If, by some chance, the copyright date on your PrintMaster 5 disc is recent, that would indicate that your PrintMaster 5 was not released by either Broderbund or Encore.

And, if what you actually purchased was Print Shop 5, that's a whole different ballgame.

"Will any of my PM software work with Windows 8?"

According to Microsoft, any software which can be successfully installed on Windows 7 can also be successfully installed on Windows 8. However, at this time, I am not aware of whether or not Windows 8 will be released as both 32-bit and 64-bit Operating Systems. So, if Windows 8 is not released as a 32-bit Operating System, only software which can be successfully installed on a 64-bit version of Windows 7 can be successfully installed on Windows 8.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/21/2012 1:31:06 PM >

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to taylorjbjr)
Post #: 2
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/21/2012 12:41:28 PM   
taylorjbjr

Brandy,

Thanks for fast reply.

As to what version I have. This is the desktop shortcut that was created when I installed the program:

And this is what I get when I click the help tab when program is running:

Looks like I will have to return it & buy an older version.

Thanks again..

jbt

< Message edited by taylorjbjr -- 10/21/2012 12:46:45 PM >

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 3
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/21/2012 1:46:35 PM   
Brandy redux

Thanks for the Update Taylor,

Since I conducted a Google search on PrintMaster 5.0 before I posted my earlier reply, and since that Google search did not provide any specific information about PrintMaster 5.0, I'm quite surprised that PrintMaster 5.0 actually exists. And, it is much more surprising that PrintMaster 5.0 is a Broderbund product.

The only actual reference I could find to PrintMaster 5.0 was this Windows Download site

http://free.windows9download.net/download/printmaster-premier-5.0.html

which did not actually offer a download of PrintMaster 5.0.

So, I would very much like to know what the copyright date is for your version of PrintMaster 5.0. And, I would also very much like to know whether or not your PrintMaster 5.0 is installed on a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version of Windows 7 - because, according to my tests, since PrintMaster 7.0 cannot be installed on a 64-bit version of Windows 7, that would indicate that your Windows 7 must be a 32-bit version.

If you will click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=37889

you will see that it is possible to successfully install both PM 18 and PM 18.1 on a 64-bit version of Windows 7. So, it should also be possible to install both of those versions on Windows 8. And, even though PM 18 and 18.1 can no longer be purchased in most retail stores, both of those versions can be purchased from either amazon.com or amazon.co.uk.

And, last but not least, as to where you said this in your first message:

"I bought my 93 yo mom PM 2012 so could email her finished projects such as cards & envelopes to print out."

If you were to just save your PrintMaster projects as *.jpg files or *.pdf files, you mom could open and print those files without being required to have the same software installed.

For More Help:

(in reply to taylorjbjr)
Post #: 4
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/21/2012 2:56:53 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: taylorjbjr
... Local stores do not have PM 2012 in stock so I bought PM Platinum 5.0 instead... Will any of my PM software work with Windows 8?

From what you say in your post, it sounds like there is a brand new version of PrintMaster, designed to work in Win8, although I have no info about a new PrintMaster.

quote:

... so could email her finished projects such as cards & envelopes to print out.

The good news is, that your mom doesn't need any program other than Adobe Reader to print cards and envelopes that you email to her. Convert your card and envelope projects into PDFs, making sure that the PDF paper size matches the actual paper size your mom will use.

I advise against sending your mom JPGs unless she knows how to import JPGs into a program, then resize and reposition the JPG so that it will print properly as a card (or envelope).

(in reply to taylorjbjr)
Post #: 5
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/21/2012 3:42:01 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi lindarobin,

Since I have never been aware of any Broderbund/Encore product which was available for sale in retail stores BEFORE it was offered on either the broderbund.com or encore.com web sites, and since PrintMaster 5.0 is not currently being offered on either of those web sites, my guess is that the PrintMaster 5.0 which Taylor purchased is a very old, and previously unknown, version of PrintMaster. And, it would be my guess that the next version of PrintMaster should be version 2013.

However, when I checked the 'About' information in the PrintMaster 2012 'Help' section, I discovered that PM 2012 is, as can be seen in the image at the bottom of this message, version 4.0.0.200. So, anything's possible. I have sent an email to my Customer Service contact regarding this question. And, I will post back here after she replies.

Hi Taylor,

As can be seen on this web site

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8

Windows 8 is scheduled to be released this coming Friday (10/26). And, just like Windows 7, Windows 8 will be released in both 32-bit versions and 64-bit versions.

And, one point I forgot to make earlier is that, according to information which was released about Windows 8 several months ago, the Minimum System Requirements for Windows 8 should be pretty much the same as the Minimum System Requirements for Windows 7.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/21/2012 4:06:14 PM >

For More Help:

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 6
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/21/2012 4:38:01 PM   
taylorjbjr

Brandy,

I have 64-bit Windows 7.

quote:

So, I would very much like to know what the copyright date is for your version of PrintMaster 5.0. And, I would also very much like to know whether or not your PrintMaster 5.0 is installed on a 32-bit version or a 64-bit version of Windows 7 - because, according to my tests, since PrintMaster 7.0 cannot be installed on a 64-bit version of Windows 7, that would indicate that your Windows 7 must be a 32-bit version.

Scanned the back of the carton the PM 5.0 came in & here is a link to the (click on it for larger) picture:http://www.fototime.com/5F69B103BEE5B01/orig.jpg ...and here is the front: http://www.fototime.com/EE325A441DBAF5B/orig.jpg

Thanks much...

jbt

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 7
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/21/2012 4:57:23 PM   
taylorjbjr

Hi lindarobin,

quote:

The good news is, that your mom doesn't need any program other than Adobe Reader to print cards and envelopes that you email to her. Convert your card and envelope projects into PDFs, making sure that the PDF paper size matches the actual paper size your mom will use.

That sounds like a good idea. If what I send her is clickable and intuitive it should work. Sure wish I had been smart enough to buy her an older, compatible version PM like was on her older computer that crashed. 500 miles away so don't get to drive to her house often & she does need help installing programs.

Thanks for the help!

jbt

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 8
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/21/2012 4:57:35 PM   
Brandy redux

Thank You Very Much for the additional information Taylor,

When I zoomed in on the back of the carton image, I saw where it gives the copyright date as 2012 and says this:

"Only compatible with projects made in PrintMaster 2011 and 2012".

So, the PrintMaster product you purchased is, actually, one version newer than the PM 2012 that you purchased for your mom. And, since I have confirmed that projects which are created with PM 2012 can be opened in PM 2011, your mom should be able to open any projects you created with PrintMaster 5.0 in her PrintMaster 2012. However, since I do not yet have access to PrintMaster 5.0, I am only guessing here.

There are, however, several other points which you will always need to keep in mind about sharing your PrintMaster 2012 and PrintMaster 5 files.

Starting with PrintMaster 2011, when a project is saved, it is not saved as a single file. Instead, a folder is created for each saved project, then the project is actually saved as several files in several subfolders. And, since folders cannot be attached to email, you will, I'm afraid, need to individually attach each of the files for each saved project to one email, then include instructions for your mother to 1) manually create the folders and subfolders, then 2) place each file in its required folder.

And, if your mom has a slow internet connection, you will also want to keep in mind that the file size for all files which are saved with a simple Certificate can be as much as 3 MB.

In the long run, it might be advisable to keep in mind that, since you purchased your PrintMaster products from a retail store within the last 90 days, you are eligible for a refund - even after the product has been installed.

Please click on the link below

http://support.encore.com/customerservice/refunds.aspx

to view the Refund Policy.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/21/2012 5:39:51 PM >

For More Help:

(in reply to taylorjbjr)
Post #: 9
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/21/2012 5:45:30 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: taylorjbjr
If what I send her is clickable and intuitive it should work... 500 miles away so don't get to drive to her house often & she does need help installing programs.

Although PM 2012 and 5.0 are compatible, it is complicated to email their files from one computer to another. These PrintMaster projects are NOT a single file, but rather a folder containing several files. So you would have to email your mom a zipped file and she would have to know how to unzip and save the various folders and files in order to ultimately open the project in PrintMaster 2012/5.0 and print it. Quite the effort! A single ready-to-print PDF is easier, no doubt.

If your PM5.0 doesn't come with its own built-in PDF convertor, there are free downloads available. You may want to check out http://cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

(There are TWO exe files that must be installed.)

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 10/21/2012 5:50:45 PM >

(in reply to taylorjbjr)
Post #: 10
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/22/2012 5:00:46 PM   
Brandy redux

The official word is that the newest PrintMaster Platinum product - which hit the stores before it was offered for sale at either broderbund.com or encore.com - does not have an official version number. However, since one of the calendars on the outside of the package displays the year 2013 and the 'About' information in Help lists the product as 5.0.0.15, it would be acceptable to refer to that product as either PrintMaster Platinum 2013 or PrintMaster Platinum

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 10/22/2012 7:05:48 PM >

For More Help:

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 11
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/23/2012 8:41:08 AM   
taylorjbjr

quote:

In the long run, it might be advisable to keep in mind that, since you purchased your PrintMaster products from a retail store within the last 90 days, you are eligible for a refund - even after the product has been installed.

Hi Brandy,

I had absolutely no problem returning my already installed PM 5.0 at the Target store in Kansas City, MO where purchased. My mom, however, had no luck returning her PM Platinum 2012 at the Walmart in Montevideo, MN where we purchased it. Here is a quote from her email to me this morning:

quote:

I didn't have any luck returning PrintMaster since it was already installed. Dealt with 3 different people, one the manager.

Thanks for all your help!

Regards,
John

< Message edited by taylorjbjr -- 10/23/2012 8:45:32 AM >

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 12
RE: PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? - 10/23/2012 11:31:50 AM   
Brandy redux

Hi Taylor,

Even though there was a time when all software stores offered refunds for software, nowadays most stores refuse to provide a refund for software - because it is still too easy to copy the software before returning it for a refund.

However, as can be seen in the Refund Policy link that I recommended earlier

http://support.encore.com/customerservice/refunds.aspx

a refund can be requested by sending the software to the Returns Department in Iowa.

For More Help:

(in reply to taylorjbjr)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> PrintMaster 2012 >> PM 2012 Platinum/PM Platinum 5.0 differences? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4