Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Can't add pictures!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC General Functionality >> Can't add pictures! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 10:47:32 AM   
HotMess

Just purchased Calendar Creator v 12.1 and the "add pictures" feature does not work. I had an earlier version of this software on an old computer and it worked great. When I go to add a picture through the "add" menu on this new versions, it lags for a minute or two, then I get an error message saying "Art gallery browser failed to load". It doesn't matter what format or size the picture is - it won't insert any pictures! I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling, but it still fails. Customer support has told me there is "no known solution" to my problem! wth?? Being able to customize my calendar with graphic images and photos is the whole reason I bought this software. Now they want me to pay to ship it back when it lacks a critical advertised capability? Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 10:57:18 AM   
JasonC

Hi HotMess, welcome to the forums! I'm sorry you had trouble using your software. When your previous version worked, Did you completely remove the previous version from your computer before installing the new one?

There is a post here that discusses how to thoroughly remove traces of it. It is located here:

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=27430

In the mean time, refunds are processed through the company and its true that you have to send the product back to them to get a refund.

Also one last thing, have you verified that your computer meets the system requirements for this particular product? On 64 bit systems the program file paths and locations are different then on traditional 32 bit computers.

Windows 8 will also give you lots of issues on some of the desktop publishing software due to the way IE10 is incorporated into the operating system.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to HotMess)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 11:04:55 AM   
ellengard

This happens to me, too. The way I work around it is to insert a rectangle shape, sized and positioned where I want my photo to be. Then I double-click the rectangle which opens a window where I can go choose the photo I want to fill the rectangle with. Sometimes I have to fiddle with the properties of the rectangle so the outline doesn't show.

(in reply to HotMess)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 11:06:55 AM   
HotMess

Thanks for your reply. This new version is installed on a different computer, so there are no traces of old versions. My computer meets all system requirements. I am running 64 bit Windows 7 with 2.53 GHz processor.

I understand the product must be returned for a refund, but I object to having to pay for shipping both ways on a product that is defective and does not deliver a critical advertised feature. That is extremely poor customer service, and this will likely be my last Broderbund purchase.

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 11:09:51 AM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: HotMess

Thanks for your reply. This new version is installed on a different computer, so there are no traces of old versions. My computer meets all system requirements. I am running 64 bit Windows 7 with 2.53 GHz processor.

I understand the product must be returned for a refund, but I object to having to pay for shipping both ways on a product that is defective and does not deliver a critical advertised feature. That is extremely poor customer service, and this will likely be my last Broderbund purchase.

HotMess, could you possibly try what ellengard has suggested? She has wonderful solutions to problems like this :-) Let us know if it works or not :)

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to HotMess)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 11:13:24 AM   
DEJenc3

Have you put the pictures into an Image Set before trying to insert them into the calendar? Also, are these very large photos that you're trying to import? That can be an issue.

David

(in reply to HotMess)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 11:19:49 AM   
HotMess

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

This happens to me, too. The way I work around it is to insert a rectangle shape, sized and positioned where I want my photo to be. Then I double-click the rectangle which opens a window where I can go choose the photo I want to fill the rectangle with. Sometimes I have to fiddle with the properties of the rectangle so the outline doesn't show.

Thanks so much! That works very well, although it's cumbersome to have to adjust the custom color properties of the rectangle to match the background color and get rid of the border. Works, though! I really appreciate your help!

Still doesn't change my opinion of Broderbund customer service.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 11:38:50 AM   
ellengard

I'm glad that is working for you. I had that error message back when I was still on my old XP computer. I just reinstalled on my Win 7 computer and CC is working fine now, so maybe it was an install issue before and not a bug in the program.

I do see now that I have to import my photos into the Art Gallery first, though (as David pointed out) - unless - I do the rectangle method. However if the Art Gallery won't open, as in your situation, it could be the program didn't install 100%.

As far as calendar programs go, CC has been far superior than anything else I've tried, especially with saving events for future years.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 11/23/2012 11:41:50 AM >

(in reply to HotMess)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 11:43:08 AM   
HotMess

quote:

ORIGINAL: DEJenc3

Have you put the pictures into an Image Set before trying to insert them into the calendar? Also, are these very large photos that you're trying to import? That can be an issue.

I had not tried that yet, but I just did, and unfortunately, it didn't work. I appreciate the suggestion, though. Apparently you need a functioning "art gallery" to use the images you've put into an Image Set. Once I put my images in there, I tried to add them through the "Add" --> "Picture" menu and it just lagged forever, then gave me the same error message "art gallery browser failed to load". My pictures are not large, and I've tried with a variety of different image sizes and formats.

Still don't understand why the art gallery feature doesn't work, but in any event, I'm now able to add pictures using ellengard's "add rectangle" suggestion above.

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 9
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 11:45:26 AM   
JasonC

Great to know it works! If you ever need additional assistance with this or other products please stop by here, and send your friends here for help as well :-)

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to HotMess)
Post #: 10
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/23/2012 12:53:22 PM   
JanT

The fixes for that problem can be found here

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=34947

(in reply to HotMess)
Post #: 11
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/25/2012 10:34:56 AM   
HotMess

quote:

ORIGINAL: JanT

The fixes for that problem can be found here

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=34947

Thanks, but that thread doesn't address the cause of my problem, as I do not have Print Shop installed on my computer. I am, however, considering installing Print Shop. Does anyone know if there are known problems in installing Print Shop after Calendar Creator? Will this cause malfunctions in either program? Are there any other software conflicts that I need to be aware of before installing Print Shop? Thanks so much.

(in reply to JanT)
Post #: 12
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/25/2012 12:27:52 PM   
JanT

The only known cause of the Can't add pictures! error message is having Print Shop installed before Calendar Creator is installed. If I were you, I would check the list of installed software just to be sure you don't have Print Shop installed.Your problem with the Can't add pictures! error message might a low resources issue. So, you could try restarting the computer before starting Calendar Creator. Or, your Calendar Creator installation might be corrupt and you might want to try what is recommended here

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=41214&mpage=1&key=ꃾ

There should be no issues when Print Shop is installed after Calendar Creator, other than the issues that are mentioned here

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tt.asp?forumid=249&p=4&tmode=10&smode=1

(in reply to HotMess)
Post #: 13
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/25/2012 3:34:35 PM   
lydia1740

quote:

ORIGINAL: JanT
If I were you, I would check the list of installed software just to be sure you don't have Print Shop installed.

Keeping in mind that Print Shop will not be displayed in that list as Print Shop. It will be displayed as The Print Shop.

(in reply to JanT)
Post #: 14
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/25/2012 4:03:08 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: HotMess
... That works very well, although it's cumbersome to have to adjust the custom color properties of the rectangle to match the background color and get rid of the border. Works, though! I really appreciate your help!

I just thought of a way to avoid needing to adjust the rectangle properties!

Add another rectangle over top of the previous one and size it to perfectly cover the photo. Now when you fill that rectangle with your photo, it's a perfect fit! Delete the previous rectangle.

This works equally well with the ellipse, so your photos can also be cropped to that shape.

(in reply to HotMess)
Post #: 15
RE: Can't add pictures! - 11/25/2012 5:42:15 PM   
HotMess

Brilliant! This makes it much simpler. Thanks ellengard for all your fantastic ideas!

JanT, thanks for your suggestions. No chance of a previous Print Shop install, since until just now, I didn't even have that software. I did double-check my program list though, despite my certainty that I had never installed it. Never know...gremlins may have come in while I slept and loaded it on there. Doesn't appear to be a resource issue either. Oh well, ellengard's workaround has given me the ability to add pictures, so I'm content. I appreciate all the help.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC General Functionality >> Can't add pictures! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4