Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Can't access my 400+ fonts

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.0 >> Can't access my 400+ fonts Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/9/2013 12:26:03 PM   
Teffie

I am very backward with any kind of technical or IT issues, so I'l 'fess up to that right off the bat.

I purchased the Print Shop 3.0 because waaay back in the day I got started making my company letterhead and brochures using the original The Print Shop program and hoped that it would offer me more creative basics now that I have had to upgrade to a laptop.

Unfortunately I have only been frustrated in the extreme because I cannot access those fonts that I want to use to revamp/upgrade my letterhead and to create office forms.

I create the text box and then when I want to change the font in it, the only options are the originals that came with my Microsoft product.

Why does this have to be so complicated and frustrating? Fonts should be there at all times at the ready, as easy to use and access as point and click so that there isn't a lot of wasted time and effort.

So, can someone please tell me simply and in easy to follow instructions how to get access to those 400+ unique and creative fonts that were promised on the front of my product box?
Post #: 1
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/9/2013 1:21:26 PM   
ellengard

You are right, those fonts should show up in the text tab. They do for me, so I don't know why it's not the same for you. However, if the fonts were installed, it may be a simple process to get the program to access them. I've asked a friend who is more tech savvy than myself, to help out. Please stand by...

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 2
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/9/2013 2:26:36 PM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Teffie

I am very backward with any kind of technical or IT issues, so I'l 'fess up to that right off the bat.

I purchased the Print Shop 3.0 because waaay back in the day I got started making my company letterhead and brochures using the original The Print Shop program and hoped that it would offer me more creative basics now that I have had to upgrade to a laptop.

Unfortunately I have only been frustrated in the extreme because I cannot access those fonts that I want to use to revamp/upgrade my letterhead and to create office forms.

I create the text box and then when I want to change the font in it, the only options are the originals that came with my Microsoft product.

Why does this have to be so complicated and frustrating? Fonts should be there at all times at the ready, as easy to use and access as point and click so that there isn't a lot of wasted time and effort.

So, can someone please tell me simply and in easy to follow instructions how to get access to those 400+ unique and creative fonts that were promised on the front of my product box?

So what operating system did your previous laptop / desktop have? Depending on the the operating system look here : http://www.yearbooks.biz/?event=FAQ.Detail&faq=3

Just look at the bottom to see where Font Directories are corresponding to your OS. Forget all the other jargon on the page.

Once you know the operating system use the advice on that page to browse to the folder. Copy all the fonts from that folder to a USB Flash Drive. Then on the new computer , plug in the USB Drive, press control A to select all the fonts, right click on one of them and select install. That is the easiest way I was taught.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 3
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/9/2013 5:44:29 PM   
Teffie

The previous system I had was from 2006, a Compaq.

Now I have a new HP Pavilion g7 with Windows 8 that I bought on 3/30/13. I put the disc into the tray and let it download like I had on the previous system and yet I have no fonts.

Since I don't know much about computers I'm hesitant to explore anything I'm unfamiliar with in case I accidentally trigger this touch pad on the laptop and have it do something that I don't want it to, because it's doing that a lot.

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 4
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/9/2013 6:37:24 PM   
JasonC

It sounds like you may be running into a technical issue. The directions I posted are very accurate to be able to find your fonts on your old computer and copy them over to the new one.

Instead of downloading the disc to the drive, when you put it in, have you considered looking at the top right of the notification on the font disc and see if you can browse to the font files on the disc itself? All you have to do is the same trick, press Control A to select all the fonts and then right click one of them and select install, they should all be installed.

If you still are having problems please keep in mind that we are only able to provide functionality support such as how to print cards, how to create projects etc. Technical Advise while given on an "as is basis" should be carefully evaluated before performing :)

For Windows 8 issues you may want to contact Encore Technical Support for this problem at http://support.encore.com and find Print Shop 3.0 from the list.

quote:

Now I have a new HP Pavilion g7 with Windows 8 that I bought on 3/30/13. I put the disc into the tray and let it download like I had on the previous system and yet I have no fonts.

Since I don't know much about computers I'm hesitant to explore anything I'm unfamiliar with in case I accidentally trigger this touch pad on the laptop and have it do something that I don't want it to, because it's doing that a lot.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 5
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/9/2013 8:16:05 PM   
Teffie

there is no font disc with the new product I purchased which is why I feel it should have been included in the program itself.

tech support on line and via phone sent me here to get help so it seems i'm pretty much stuck, doesn't it?

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 6
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/9/2013 9:18:21 PM   
ellengard

There is no special disk for the fonts. The fonts are included in the program install. As T suggested, see if you can browse to the font files on the disc itself. If it's not in an obvious location like a folder named FONTS, then please post back.

I got the download version of PS3.0 so I have no disk and can't look for you.

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 7
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/9/2013 9:44:05 PM   
ellengard

Hey, T, this path:
program files\The Print Shop 3.0\Fonts\FontsConfiguration.xml
suggests that the fonts are "unpacked" during installation so we won't be able to see any font files on the disk.

Any thoughts on why Teffie's installation did not unpack the fonts and put them in C:\Windows\Fonts? That's where they are on my Win7 computer. Is it different on Win8?

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 8
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 7:26:49 AM   
JasonC

The Fonts folder is the same on Windows 8 as Windows 7, I just checked this out.

Windows 8 has tighter security procedures to what it allows during install and what it does not.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 9
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 12:31:11 PM   
moonrise

quote:

Unfortunately I have only been frustrated in the extreme because I cannot access those fonts that I want to use to revamp/upgrade my letterhead and to create office forms. I create the text box and then when I want to change the font in it, the only options are the originals that came with my Microsoft product. So, can someone please tell me simply and in easy to follow instructions how to get access to those 400+ unique and creative fonts that were promised on the front of my product box?

Teffie,

I noticed that you have not stated whether you are looking for a specific font or for one of the 400+ unique and creative fonts.

If you are looking for a specific font, it might be a good idea for you to name that font, so that ellengard and TMLFAN4LIFE can check to see whether or not they can access that font on their computers. I am suggesting that because it is possible that the font you have been using on your Compaq since 2006 is not offered by either Windows 8 or Print Shop 3.0.

If you are looking for one of the 400+ unique and creative fonts, it might be a good idea if ellengard or TMLFAN4LIFE were to provide a few names of the 400+ unique and creative fonts that are included with Print Shop 3.0, so that you can check to see if those fonts are accessible on your computer. I am suggesting that because it is possible that you are expecting the 400+ unique and creative fonts to be much more unique and creative than they actually are. In actual fact, the only method that I have found for determining exactly which font was installed by which program is to double-click on the font file then check what is included in the Version: section. Unfortunately, the name of the program which installed the font is not always provided after double-clicking on a font file.

P.S. I cannot check this for myself because I do not have Print Shop 3.0 installed on my computer.

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 10
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 1:16:11 PM   
Teffie

I attempted to find a file named fonts in Print Shop 3.0 but as I mentioned at the beginning here, I'm not tech savvy and I don't know anything about computers except that I need them to work, and when I load a program I expect it to work. When I tracked through the success sub folders I did not see any file named fonts at all. I did when I tracked through the Microsoft folder and those are the same fonts available to me in the Print Shop 3.0 product, the ONLY fonts available.

To answer your question, Moonrise, as I said at the beginning, I cannot access a single Print Shop 3.0 Font from the program when I am in it creating a project. Not a single one. I know what should be provided because on the package that I purchased it names several fonts, like Stagecoach, Duchess and Kelt Wide, and NONE of them appear in the drop down options when I am attempting to make use of the fonts to modify text.

If there is a compatibility issue with the software and Windows 8 it should have been addressed when I first contact customer service but nothing has ben mentioned about the problem.

If the security settings are more stringent on Windows 8 then Broderbund should offer some sort of program to fix that problem.

The bottom line is that I purchased this product based on previous good experiences with an earlier product and all I bought myself this time around is a frustrating nightmare that has not yet been resolved in 10 days.

For those who are far more tech savvy than I, investigating an issue like this is likely a much easier thing to do, but for someone who doesn't know computers, I rely on customer service and tech support to help me fix the problem. As yet I am getting emails that suggest that they don't grasp the meaning of 'the fonts are not available or installed for use within the program'.

If you can tell me in simple and easy steps how to find the fonts and get them activated, I would appreciate it.

If you know of a program or file from Broderbund that will take care of any compatibility issues, I would appreciate you giving me a link to access it.

At this point I am about ready to get it off my computer and demand my money back.

(in reply to moonrise)
Post #: 11
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 1:28:21 PM   
moonrise

Teffie,

As I mentioned before, I do not have Print Shop 3.0 installed on my computer. So, I will not be able to help you with your problem.

If ellengard and TMLFAN4LIFE are not able to provide a solution to your problem, you will definitely want to keep in mind that a Money-Back Guarantee is offered for products which were purchased from a retail store within the last 90 days or from either broderbund.com or encore.com within the last 30 days.

Please click on the link below

http://support.encore.com/customerservice/refunds.aspx

to view the Refund Policy.

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 12
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 2:14:54 PM   
Teffie

Hey, Moonrise;

Encore Tech support has now washed their hands in regard to the problem I am having and gave me the refund information since they told me that apparently no one else has had this issue and they have no solution for me.

That's flimsy but at this point my jaws ache from grinding my teeth in complete frustration.

I am not tech savvy, but I am not stupid, and I don't like to be made to feel that way and when I am told over and over again that what I do not see is really there, it just makes me more frustrated and likely defeats the process of calmly tracking down the problem.

This bites because I needed a simple program to create and save simple jpeg art files for my clients and now I can't do any of that.

Oh well, live and learn, I guess. When you have a great experience with a product doesn't mean that future incarnations of it will be equally as great.

(in reply to moonrise)
Post #: 13
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 2:18:11 PM   
Teffie

So, TMLFAN, what does that mean? Is there a way to find and open the Print Shop 3.0 fonts on Windows 8 or do I have to give up and uninstall the program?

(in reply to moonrise)
Post #: 14
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 3:03:03 PM   
ellengard

quote:

...I know what should be provided because on the package that I purchased it names several fonts, like Stagecoach, Duchess and Kelt Wide, and NONE of them appear in the drop down options when I am attempting to make use of the fonts to modify text.

Hello, again. Yes, those fonts do come with the program and I am able to use them. Your situation is not the norm, so I understand your frustration. Maybe all Win8 users are experiencing this problem. Let me ask around to see if another Win8 user had to adjust security settings or something, in order to fully install PS3.0

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 15
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 3:26:30 PM   
Teffie

Hey, Ellen;

Thanks for checking for me. I cannot imagine that I am the only person who has had this issue if it is, in fact, a Windows 8 compatibility issue...

As I said, I'm not tech savvy but with simple instructions to follow I should be able to find and fix the problem... (fingers crossed when I type this).

I guess I shouldn't have expectations of things before I get into them, but with my previous experience with TPS I thought this would be a simple transition. Boy, how wrong could I have been?

Also, as an aside, Stagecoach was a font that came with the original Print Shop product that I had but I used the Scribble Font to create my letterhead and business cards with, along with Impress and Vivaldi.
quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

quote:

...I know what should be provided because on the package that I purchased it names several fonts, like Stagecoach, Duchess and Kelt Wide, and NONE of them appear in the drop down options when I am attempting to make use of the fonts to modify text.

Hello, again. Yes, those fonts do come with the program and I am able to use them. Your situation is not the norm, so I understand your frustration. Maybe all Win8 users are experiencing this problem. Let me ask around to see if another Win8 user had to adjust security settings or something, in order to fully install PS3.0

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 16
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 3:30:24 PM   
ellengard

quote:

It is a very real solution to copy the Fonts folder from the Compaq to the HP.
C:\Windows\Fonts

You can use the instructions for installing fonts that comes with Windows Help or T's instructions in post #3.

edited: I was typing this before I saw your post above. Thought you might want to try this while we are waiting on getting more information.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 4/10/2013 3:35:55 PM >

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 17
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 3:38:09 PM   
Teffie

Hey, Ellen;

It is certainly an option to 'boost' the fonts if I can find them in the newer TPS product to copy the old fonts over so I will keep that in mind.

It occurred to me that perhaps if I downloaded the product I would bypass the issue with the fonts folder, but then figure of TMLFAN is right about the security on the Windows 8 system that I would run into the same problem even if I downloaded direct from Broderbund rather than from the disc...

That would pose an issue, right?

Again, thanks for your patience and your willingness to help a remedial tech person like myself figure this out!
quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

quote:

It is a very real solution to copy the Fonts folder from the Compaq to the HP.
C:\Windows\Fonts

You can use the instructions for installing fonts that comes with Windows Help.

edited: I was typing this before I saw your post above. Thought you might want to try this while we are waiting on getting more information.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 18
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 3:46:45 PM   
JasonC

quote:

So, TMLFAN, what does that mean? Is there a way to find and open the Print Shop 3.0 fonts on Windows 8 or do I have to give up and uninstall the program?

This is a very easy fix. You are going to need to utitlize at least a 4GB capacity Flash Drive. Make sure its blank to prevent conflicts.

On your Windows 7 Machine (Which was your old computer) , go to C:\Windows\Fonts , in that Fonts folder, hold down the Control Key and Press the A key. This will select all of the fonts in this folder. Right click on any one font and select Send To... Make note of your flash drive drive letter and send it to that letter.

The file copy process will begin. Once you don't see the file copy dialog anymore take your flash drive and put it into your Windows 8 machine.

Now go to the desktop on Windows 8 and on the bottom left you will see a folder icon (presuming you keep your taskbar at the bottom)

Now click this folder, and you will see a screen similar to My Computer. Look to the left of the Window and you should see your drive letters.

Click on the drive letter that your USB Flash Drive appears as. Once you see your drive with the fonts. I want you to drag that window all the way to the left of your screen and pin it to the left of the screen.

Now I want you to open up another folder Window and click on the C Drive. Just click on the C drive and double click the Windows Folder and then Double Click the Fonts Folder. Once you are on this screen I want you to Drag this window to the right.

Now , on the screen to the left which you pinned I want you to click on one font and press Control A. This will select all the fonts. Now click on one of the fonts thats highlighted but hold down the left mouse button. Now drag this to the pinned Windows on the right. It will copy all the fonts to the fonts folder. If you get a message saying the font already exists if you want to overwrite, say yes and check the box that says Do this for the next X conflicts. Once the file copy is complete those files from your old computer will be on your new one.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 19
RE: Can't access my 400+ fonts - 4/10/2013 3:53:50 PM   
ellengard

quote:

It is certainly an option to 'boost' the fonts if I can find them in the newer TPS product to copy the old fonts over so I will keep that in mind.

No need to search for them. They are in your Compaq's C drive... C:\Windows\Fonts. Take a look in there. Let me know if you see any shortcuts to another font location. You'll probably want these fonts on your HP, too.

Oops, seems T and I are typing our messages at the same time so we sound like we are repeating ourselves.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 4/10/2013 4:01:42 PM >

(in reply to Teffie)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.0 >> Can't access my 400+ fonts Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4