Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Unable to Import from Outlook

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC Export/Import >> Unable to Import from Outlook Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to Import from Outlook - 5/23/2011 10:04:05 AM   
TCTREAD

I am running CC Deluxe 12 and Outlook 2007 on Win 7 64bit. I have followed the instructions posted in this forum with no luck.

When Outlook and CC are both open and I select Import - "Events from Microsoft Outlook", CC becomes non-responsive and requires the Task Manager to close. If I leave Outlook closed when I initiate the import, I do get the pop-up window to allow/deny access to Outlook. I also get another pop-up that says "Server Busy. This action cannot be completed because the "Microsoft Office Outlook" program is not responding. Choose "Switch To" and correct the problem." My choices with this pop-up are "Switch To", "Retry", and "Cancel" (greyed out). Switch To and Retry appear to do nothing. If I go back to the allow/deny pop-up and select 'allow access for 5 minutes', Outlook opens, but then CC becomes non-responsive again and must be closed with Task Manager.

I have turned off macro security in Outlook. I have created a new basic calendar in CC to import into. I do keep my Outlook PST file in a non-default location, but for the purpose of this process I returned it to its [user]/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Outlook default location. I even tried to save Outlook events in .csv format, but got a "cannot open file" error message when I attempted to import that.

Is there something I'm overlooking, or can you offer any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot.
Post #: 1
RE: Unable to Import from Outlook - 5/23/2011 11:58:47 AM   
Brandy redux

Hi TCTREAD,

Since you did not specifically say which instructions you were following on the forum, please click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=39106&mpage=1&key=飂

to review the recommended instructions for importing from Outlook to Calendar Creator 12.

If those were the instructions you were using, that would indicate that the fact that your CC and your Outlook become non-responsive during the import process would indicate that a problem on your computer is causing the problem.

So, the first thing I would recommend is for you to click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24103&mpage=1&key=%E5%B8%A7

then follow the directions in that FAQ for performing a computer cleanup. After the computer cleanup, try the process again - making sure that you restart the computer before you try the process and that you DO NOT open any other programs (most especially not an internet browser).

If the process still does not work, please describe exactly how your computer system is set up. For example, are you using a network? And, is Calendar Creator or Outlook installed on a server? And, you are trying to perform the process on a client computer?

For More Help:
Click on the FAQ link at the top of this page
Then, click on the All FAQ's button on the next page

To contact me by email, please send your message to pine_97@yahoo.com

(in reply to TCTREAD)
Post #: 2
RE: Unable to Import from Outlook - 5/23/2011 2:56:48 PM   
TCTREAD

Hello, Brandy redux, and thank you for the reply. I'm sorry to have not been specific on which instructions I followed. Yes, it was the thread you noted,
http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=39106&mpage=1&key=

I have completed the Computer Cleanup instructions you posted in your reply. Unfortunately, CC still goes non-responsive either at the moment when "import events from Microsoft Outlook" is selected, or if I am able to get the access pop-up, immediately after selecting the "allow access for 5 minutes" (I should clarify that Outlook remains fully functional). No other programs are open during the attempts.

To answer your questions about my setup, this is my home computer, which is connected to a router. I do have a home network running, but apart from wifi devices like my iPhone, and audio/video devices (DirecTV receiver, X-box), there are no other computers currently on the network. CC12 and Outlook are both installed locally on my C drive, but the data locations for both are assigned to a D drive.

Perhaps there are there parameters that CC is looking for that are not being met? Do data files need to be in default locations, or are there limitations as to the size of the Outlook PST file or number of events capable of being imported? Must Outlook be open to the actual calendar, or does that not matter? Sorry, this has been quite a head-scratcher for me, and I know the difficulties of trying to troubleshoot from afar. I just thought maybe there was something obvious I was missing.

Thanks again.

(in reply to Brandy redux)
Post #: 3
RE: Unable to Import from Outlook - 5/23/2011 4:09:14 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi TCTREAD,

I am VERY glad that you asked that last question:

"Must Outlook be open to the actual calendar"

because I have just discovered that when I try to import Outlook 2007 into a CC 12 project that is not yet saved, while Outlook is opened, I receive the "Unable to open the Microsoft Outlook calendar" message. And, when I try to import Outlook 2007 into a CC 12 project that is saved, I always receive the 'Server Busy' message.

However, when I just now tried to import Outlook 2007 into a CC 12 project that is not yet saved, while Outlook was NOT opened, Outlook imported without a problem. However, it did not work on the first try. So, it was necessary for me to repeat the process.

My guess is that, when I posted that "Using Outlook data in Calendar Creator" pinned item on the Encore forums, I included the instruction to open Outlook before opening the Calendar Creator project because that instruction was included in the original Encore Technical Note which I copied.

I do know that when I posted that "Using Outlook data in Calendar Creator" pinned item on the Encore forums, those instructions did work. However, as you can see, that pinned item was posted more than a year ago. So, it is possible that either an Office update or a Windows update has caused the problems to occur when Outlook 2007 is opened before a Calendar Creator project is opened.

The most important point to keep in mind is that the CC 12 import process was designed long before both Windows 7 and Outlook 2007 were designed. So, I suspect that there might be several incompatibilities at play here.

As to where you said this:

"CC12 and Outlook are both installed locally on my C drive, but the data locations for both are assigned to a D drive."

That's exactly how my computer is set up. However, the data location should not be relevant to the problem.

As to where you said this:

"Do data files need to be in default locations, or are there limitations as to the size of the Outlook PST file or number of events capable of being imported?"

Since my Outlook files are in the default location and since my Outlook PST file is quite small, the data location and the size of the PST file should not be relevant.

As to where you said this in your first message:

"I even tried to save Outlook events in .csv format, but got a "cannot open file" error message when I attempted to import that."

As can be seen in the "Using Outlook data in Calendar Creator" pinned item here

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=39106&mpage=1&key=%E9%A3%82

*.csv files which are exported from Outlook can be imported only into the Calendar Creator Address Book. So, *.csv imports cannot import events into actual Calendar Creator calendars.

For More Help:

(in reply to TCTREAD)
Post #: 4
RE: Unable to Import from Outlook - 5/23/2011 4:27:57 PM   
Brandy redux

One Additional Note TCTREAD,

I have just realized that I did not adequately respond to where you said this:

"Must Outlook be open to the actual calendar"

Since I have never used more than one calendar in Outlook 2007, I decided to create a test calendar in Outlook 2007 then perform an import into CC 12. And, when I did so, I discovered that only the events in the default calendar will import into CC 12.

< Message edited by Brandy redux -- 5/23/2011 5:12:41 PM >

For More Help:

Post #: 5
RE: Unable to Import from Outlook - 5/23/2011 6:22:31 PM   
TCTREAD

Thanks for all your efforts, Brandy redux. I think you hit the nail on the head with the fact that the CC software has not been updated during several Windows and Office incarnations. As I find Office's calendar printing abilities insufficient (to say the least), I was hoping to utilize CC without having to manually duplicate all my event entries.

At any rate, I tried your suggestion of leaving Outlook closed while attempting to import into a new, unsaved calendar. I get the "allow/deny" pop-up, but CC becomes non-responsive immediately after I 'allow'. If I have Outlook already open, CC becomes non-responsive immediately upon selecting the Outlook import option. Perhaps another process or background program is holding things up, and if I am able to discover which one, I'll post the results.

In the meantime, thanks for your time.

Post #: 6
RE: Unable to Import from Outlook - 5/23/2011 6:35:28 PM   
Brandy redux

Hi TCTREAD,

It is quite possible that another process or background program is holding things up.

So, you might want to click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=40553&mpage=1&key=MSConfig鹩

then check out Step #6.

For More Help:

(in reply to TCTREAD)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [Calendar Creator] >> CC Export/Import >> Unable to Import from Outlook Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4