Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 - 1/13/2013 12:52:38 PM   
alexlurch

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrystalE

Yes, if UMM displays the same symptoms on another computer running Windows 7 64-bit, that problem is very likely being caused by the DVD. UMM works as designed for me on Windows 7 64-bit. Of course, if you did not perform the clean install or the other steps which are described in the 5. Troubleshooting Installation Problems FAQ which I recommended (most especially the Pre-Install Checklist: Before installing software step), that might be a factor. So, if I were you, I would walk through the steps in that 5. Troubleshooting Installation Problems FAQ, performing each step as recommended.

Is the UMM on the DVD a stand-alone program? In other words, on the installation DVD in D:\Setup\Typical.cab\ (where my DVD drive is the D: drive) I find both adbook.exe and CrdMind.exe (the Event Reminder). I extracted them both to my Windows 7 64-bit desktop. If I run the adbook.exe, I get the same symptoms. If I run the CrdMind.exe, it works normally. This would seem to imply that neither of the programs are actually installed into the registry, etc., rather the installation program just places the programs in the default location in the (in my case) C: drive. That would also mean that the clean install, etc., wouldn't be a factor? And this is further indication of a bad adbook.exe file? Or am I missing something?

(in reply to CrystalE)
Post #: 21
RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 - 1/13/2013 2:00:52 PM   
CrystalE

quote:

Is the UMM on the DVD a stand-alone program? In other words, on the installation DVD in D:\Setup\Typical.cab\ (where my DVD drive is the D: drive) I find both adbook.exe and CrdMind.exe (the Event Reminder). I extracted them both to my Windows 7 64-bit desktop. If I run the adbook.exe, I get the same symptoms. If I run the CrdMind.exe, it works normally.

When I extracted adbook.exe from the typical.cab file, I was not able to start adbook.exe until I also extracted the PTSAAB32.dll and PTSACX40.dll files from the typical.cab file. During either a typical or custom installation, these files are also installed in the same C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Broderbund\UMM folder with adbook.exe.

quote:

This would seem to imply that neither of the programs are actually installed into the registry, etc., rather the installation program just places the programs in the default location in the (in my case) C: drive.

Ultimate Mail Manager is installed into the Registry in 2 Address Book 6.0 for Windows sections.

quote:

That would also mean that the clean install, etc., wouldn't be a factor

The intended purpose of the clean install is to make sure all background programs are disabled before the installation process is started, to prevent background programs from corrupting the installation. So, as long as the CD/DVD is clean and there are no damaged files on the CD/DVD, the clean install wouldn't be a factor.

quote:

And this is further indication of a bad adbook.exe file? Or am I missing something?

Step 2. Clean the CD/DVD in the 5. Troubleshooting Installation Problems FAQ is also very important. If it is determined that a file on the DVD might be bad, the first best step would be to clean the CD/DVD then try the file again.

(in reply to alexlurch)
Post #: 22
RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 - 1/13/2013 2:35:58 PM   
SamCW04

quote:

I heard from tech support, but they have been less than completely helpful so far. The wanted to make sure my account had administrator access, which it did. I told them the same and will wait to see if I hear more.

Technical Support is set up to walk users through the most basic steps, to make sure that the users have not overlooked any obvious steps. In your case, the only thing you need from Technical Support is a Yes or No answer to one question: "Can Technical Support open UMM on a 64-bit version of Windows 8?" If No, you'll know that there is no point in continuing the troubleshooting. If Yes, you'll know that the problem is being caused either by the installation process you used, a problem on your computer or a damaged CD/DVD. The best way to rule out either of those possibilities would be to walk through the steps in the 5. Troubleshooting Installation Problems FAQ that CrystalE recommended.

(in reply to alexlurch)
Post #: 23
RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 - 1/13/2013 2:36:36 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: alexlurch
... the beauty of the Address Book program was how easy it was to create different address groups, and print out address labels for mailings... switching to excel might be my best options if I can't work it in Windows 8.

If you have MS Word, this program can do your address labels with mail merge. You wouldn't have to create an Address Book from scratch. Word will take a csv file.

(in reply to alexlurch)
Post #: 24
RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 - 1/13/2013 2:47:11 PM   
JasonC

I've read some more things about Windows 8 and the way programs behave depends on what options you chose when Windows 8 was installed. I did a clean install of Windows 8 and many programs run without fault. If one chooses to keep their programs and settings and does an in place upgrade then there are going to be problems because Windows 8 replaces certain system files and removes some from Windows 7. And some registry settings may also be different causing the programs to not behave right either.

< Message edited by TMLFAN4LIFE -- 1/13/2013 2:48:12 PM >

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 25
RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 - 1/13/2013 8:50:41 PM   
lydia1740

quote:

When I extracted adbook.exe from the typical.cab file, I was not able to start adbook.exe until I also extracted the PTSAAB32.dll and PTSACX40.dll files from the typical.cab file. During either a typical or custom installation, these files are also installed in the same C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Broderbund\UMM folder with adbook.exe. Ultimate Mail Manager is installed into the Registry in 2 Address Book 6.0 for Windows sections.

And, both the PTSAAB32.dll and PTSACX40.dll files are also installed into the Registry when Print Shop 23.1 is installed.

< Message edited by lydia1740 -- 1/13/2013 8:51:52 PM >

(in reply to CrystalE)
Post #: 26
RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 - 1/14/2013 11:30:53 AM   
alexlurch

quote:

Yes, if UMM displays the same symptoms on another computer running Windows 7 64-bit, that problem is very likely being caused by the DVD. UMM works as designed for me on Windows 7 64-bit. Of course, if you did not perform the clean install or the other steps which are described in the 5. Troubleshooting Installation Problems FAQ which I recommended (most especially the Pre-Install Checklist: Before installing software step), that might be a factor. So, if I were you, I would walk through the steps in that 5. Troubleshooting Installation Problems FAQ, performing each step as recommended.

To continue troubleshooting, I tried installing the Print Shop 23.1 on my daughter's desktop today. It runs Windows XP 32-bit. I did a clean install following the Troubleshooting Installation Problems FAQ, including physically cleaning the disk itself. Same issue with UMM. I'm thinking more and more that it has to be the disk itself...something is corrupted with it. I will try to call Encore Tech support and see if I get through. Their email tech support has not been much help.

(in reply to CrystalE)
Post #: 27
RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 - 1/14/2013 12:21:39 PM   
alexlurch

I got through to Encore Tech support on the phone (they were surprisingly helpful in person) and they agreed that the DVD must be corrupted somehow. They are sending me a replacement...so now it's a waiting game. Hopefully this will do the trick when I get the new DVD. I'll keep everyone posted!

(in reply to alexlurch)
Post #: 28
RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 - 1/16/2013 12:28:10 PM   
alexlurch

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I wanted to bang my head against the wall after solving it because the UMM program behaves so strangely. After wondering what could be in common with all the 3 different computers/OS's I tried it on (after ruling out the Microsoft Security Essentials Anti-Virus), I thought, maybe it could be the Windows time zone setting? I am in the US military stationed overseas so I have a European time zone currently set. Changed the time to Eastern US time...and UMM worked with no issues. Maybe tomorrow my blood pressure will lower enough to laugh about it...though actually I'm starting to chuckle already. What do you want for such an ancient program, eh? Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions...couldn't have done it without you because you helped rule out many other possibilities. Never thought it could be the time zone though, just amazing.

(in reply to alexlurch)
Post #: 29
RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 - 1/16/2013 3:48:22 PM   
lindarobin

quote:

ORIGINAL: alexlurch
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! ... I am in the US military stationed overseas so I have a European time zone currently set. Changed the time to Eastern US time...and UMM worked with no issues. ...Never thought it could be the time zone though, just amazing.

Thank you for posting the solution to this problem. I will pin this information for future reference.

(in reply to alexlurch)
Post #: 30
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> RE: Ultimate Mail Manager and Windows 8 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4