Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

address labels

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.0 >> address labels Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
address labels - 2/3/2013 3:19:18 AM   
Dave Giffin

I bought Print Shop3.0 for one purpose only - to print address labels. I have set up a group with member's addresses in it. I "Create a Project from Scratch", select "labels" and an Avery form 5160. After doing that, I am sent to a blank page, with nowhere to go. I have read all the on-line help information, and it is of no help whatsoever. In the Mail Merge Section of the help info, it says to access the Text Box, but the text box is greyed out, so I cannot select it. I an totally frustrated, and feel this is a very poor product.
Post #: 1
RE: address labels - 2/3/2013 11:00:50 AM   
ellengard

Have you seen this video tutorial?
http://printshop.com/video-tutorials/mail-merge.aspx

Pro and Deluxe versions have mail merge; Standard does not. If you have Pro or Deluxe, the video will be relevant.

(in reply to Dave Giffin)
Post #: 2
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 8:30:47 AM   
Dave Giffin

Hi ellengard, and thanks for your reply. I had not seen the video, and after viewing it, I feel I am almost there - but not quite. Here's what I did:
1. Clicked on Blank Project and gave it a name.
2. Selected Project Type as Label Sheet and selected Avery 5160 Address Labels.
3. Selected Create.
4. Clicked on Insert Text Box and then Add Text Box.
5. Clicked inside the text box to allow for typing.
6. Clicked on Insert Address Book.
7. Clicked on Home tab and clicked on Set Up Mail Merge, then selected my members and clicked on Save.
8. Clicked on Print Preview.
When the print preview showed up, the page was blank. Evidently, my address selections were not picked up. Can you help me?

Dave Giffin

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 3
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 9:39:50 AM   
ellengard

You haven't added your mail merge fields yet. Don't forget to format your lines or else they'll get run together. Don't forget to select one contact per item.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 10:22:10 AM   
Dave Giffin

OK, so I do not select "Insert Address Block" but select the address fields I want by selecting "Insert Field" and picking the individual fields I want?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 5
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 11:24:56 AM   
ellengard

Yes, you can do that, if it works for you. Try it. If any vital info does not get printed onto your labels, then go back and insert the missing mail merge field.

Post #: 6
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 11:59:05 AM   
Dave Giffin

I hate to be a pest, but I tried all the combinations of ways to enter the address data that I could think of, and I still get a blank page when I select print preview. And yes, I did select "one per item" on the name/address page. I must be missing something.

By the way, when I select "Insert Address Block", I get some text in my text box - something about name and home address. I did not see that data in your example. Your example just showed first name, last name, etc. I tried deleting that data and entering my address data one field at a time - did not work. I tried leaving that data and entering my fields one at a time after that data - did not work. I tried just entering the desired fields without selecting "Insert Address Book" - did not work. I cannot think of any other combinations to try.

I did not mention that I use Windows8. Could that be the problem?

I am not sure where to go from here. I'm getting very frustrated again. It just seems like this should not be a big problem to set up. I am replacing some old software I had that printed address labels, and I did not have any problems like I'm having now.

Where do we go from here?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 3:32:36 PM   
ellengard

Did you select any names from your Address Book? i.e. check marked

Post #: 8
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 4:21:45 PM   
Dave Giffin

Yes, as a test, I selected about 7 0r 8 names from my address book. and they were indeed checked when I looked at them. And, after I noted they were checked, I selected "Save".

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 9
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 5:12:11 PM   
ellengard

So you've checked some names in the Address Book and you've inserted the Address Block. Do a test print onto scrap paper. Maybe it's just the Print Preview doesn't work.

Post #: 10
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 6:52:09 PM   
Dave Giffin

Nope, I just tried to print on scrap paper. It printed a blank page.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 11
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 7:06:52 PM   
ellengard

I don't know what to tell you, sorry. I've used the mail merge several times and it works. I have Win7, but have been told this program works on Win8, too.

Here are the step-by-step instructions from the website, that you can use as a checklist:
http://www.printshop.com/user-guide/30/address-book,-mail-merge,-and-event-reminders/inserting-mail-merge-fields.aspx

continues on this page:

http://www.printshop.com/user-guide/30/address-book,-mail-merge,-and-event-reminders/using-the-mail-merge-wizard.aspx

< Message edited by ellengard -- 2/4/2013 7:10:16 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: address labels - 2/4/2013 7:26:34 PM   
ellengard

I assume Word Starter came with Win8 (since it did with Win7). Word Starter has mail merge. Use that if PS3.0 won't work for you.

Post #: 13
RE: address labels - 2/5/2013 1:11:25 AM   
lydia1740

quote:

I assume Word Starter came with Win8 (since it did with Win7). Word Starter has mail merge.

Even though Microsoft made Office Starter 2010 available to OEMs and system builders as part of an OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK), Word Starter is not automatically included on all Windows 7 computers. It all depends on who builds the computer.

And, this week, Microsoft reportedly notified OEM PC partners that it's beginning to phase out Office Starter 2010. In fact, the Starter edition -- which offers a stripped-down, ad-laced version of Word and Excel -- will be nuked altogether, replaced by Office Web Apps going forward. These apps are the Internet-based versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote originally announced back in 2008.

For a mail merge product which is a free download for all, I often recommend Avery Design Pro here

http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Templates-%26-Software/Avery-DesignPro-for-PC.htm?N=0&refchannel=c042fd03ab30a110VgnVCM1000002118140aRCRD

which offers templates for most Avery products.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 14
RE: address labels - 2/5/2013 7:08:41 AM   
Dave Giffin

Thanks for the information. I am using Microsoft Office 2010, so that could be my problem. As a check, I loaded my PrintShop3.0 Deluxe on a second computer I own. It has Windows Vista on it and an earlier version of Office. I then started the same project on this computer, with the exact same result as before. This leads me to believe the problem is ME, not my software. So, as a last ditch effort here (I hate to give up on my purchase of PrintShop, because I've begun to like it), I'm going to explain as best as I can all the steps I took.

1. I first loaded my contacts list with 9 contacts. When I pull up that list I see a window titled "The Print Shop 3.0 - Address Book". It contains 9 contacts with each one having a First Name, Last Name, Address, City, State and Zip Code. It looks OK.
2. I clicked "Blank Project" and gave it a name. I selected Project Type as Label Sheet and selected Avery 5160 Address Labels. I then selected "Create".
3. I then clicked on Insert Text Box and selected Add Text Box.
4.I expanded the rectangle with the dash lines to be about the same size as the big, blank box on my screen and clicked inside that box. A cursor shows up in the upper left hand corner.
5. I then clicked on each field to add by first selecting First Name and clicking on Insert Field. I did the same for last name, address, City, State and zip. I also added spaces where necessary and a comma between city and state. When I finished, my screen looked like this:
{{FirstName}} {{LastName}}
{{PrimaryAddressLine1}}
{{PrimaryCity}}, {{PrimaryState}}
{{PrimaryZip}}
6. I then clicked on the Home tab.
7. I clicked on Mail Merge, and Selected All, and selected One Contact Per Item, as well as Repeat Contacts To End of Sheet. Each contact had a check mark to the left of the Name.
8. I clicked on Save.
9. I clicked on Print Preview.
The preview window showed up and the page was all blank. I tried Print as well, but it printed a blank page.

So, that's where I am. It seems as though my contacts are not being picked up, but I cannot see why not. I feel like I have followed all the instructions correctly, but there must be something I am not doing (or doing something I should not be doing).
Any last thoughts here? I do appreciate the prompt responses you have provided. I have dealt with several people in chat form like this before, and you have been much better than those, in my opinion.

Dave Giffin

(in reply to lydia1740)
Post #: 15
RE: address labels - 2/5/2013 11:25:54 AM   
ellengard

Hi Dave. I followed your nine steps just as you documented, and it worked. As far as I can tell, you've done everything perfectly and left nothing out.

As you have done this on two computers and two operating systems with the same results, I am stymied. Maybe they gave you the Standard version instead of the Deluxe version by mistake? I'll think on this some more...

Post #: 16
RE: address labels - 2/5/2013 11:48:38 AM   
ellengard

According to this post:
http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=44037

... Deluxe version has mail merge and the chart that says otherwise is wrong. I'll look into this further...

Post #: 17
RE: address labels - 2/5/2013 12:51:35 PM   
ellengard

Hi Dave. I got confirmation from Customer Service that Deluxe has mail merge. I am thinking that you were given a version that does not, since you have performed all the mail merge steps correctly.

Post #: 18
RE: address labels - 2/5/2013 1:10:24 PM   
Dave Giffin

OK. I guess I have two options:
1. Buy another Print Shop Deluxe (they told me at Office Max that they could not give a refund once the box is opened) for $49.95 and hope that it works. I'm not real excited about that, since I could be out another 50 bucks and still have nothing that works. Maybe I could buy the second one somewhere else.
2. Download the Avery software that is supposed to do the same thing. I actually looked at that a while back, and felt it was inferior to PrintShop. But of course it is free.

I'm going to wait a couple of days before making up my mind about this.

By the way, the box that PrintShop came in said "PrintShop3.0 Deluxe" on it, and the disk said the same thing. It's hard to believe it would be the Standard version.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 19
RE: address labels - 2/5/2013 1:22:28 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Giffin
OK. I guess I have two options:
1. Buy another Print Shop Deluxe (they told me at Office Max that they could not give a refund once the box is opened) for $49.95 and hope that it works...

Hold off on making another purchase. If there's something wrong with your program, there's a satisfaction guarantee (refund or replacement) that should apply. I'll check.

Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> The Print Shop 3.0 >> address labels Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4