Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Win 8.1 and older Print Shop versions

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Win 8.1 and older Print Shop versions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Win 8.1 and older Print Shop versions - 9/15/2014 7:37:59 AM   
veelieb

I have a brand new Acer PC with WIN 8.1.

ALL of my other programs were able to install... But my beloved Print Shop 12 fails.

The Install CD starts off OK... Then hangs up at 1% when it says Installing True Type Fonts.

Run as administrator did not work.

It is a legit purchased Print Shop 12 CD package from Amazon.

Please HELP!!

< Message edited by lindarobin -- 10/1/2014 3:11:00 PM >

Vee
Post #: 1
RE: Print Shop 12 won't install from CD - 9/15/2014 10:02:53 AM   
ellengard

Print Shop 12... is that a Win98 program? I don't think version 12 will run on Win 8.1, as this operating system is so different from Win98. Maybe someone who has version 12 can offer a suggestion.

According to this thread:
http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=47850
even the mucher newer version 23.1 isn't 100% compatible with Win 8.1

< Message edited by ellengard -- 9/15/2014 10:08:25 AM >

(in reply to veelieb)
Post #: 2
RE: Print Shop 12 won't install from CD - 9/15/2014 12:42:30 PM   
Tara

veelieb,

As I have indicated on these forums in the past, only those versions of Print Shop and PrintMaster which require NET. Framework 1.1 cannot be installed on Windows 8.1. But, that is only because NET Framework 1.1 is not fully compatible with Windows 8.1.

Any version of Print Shop or Printmaster which can be installed on a 64-bit Operating System should install quite nicely on Windows 8.1.

Since Print Shop 12 does not require NET Framework 1.1 and since Print Shop 12 can be installed on a 64-bit Operating System, I have successfully performed a FULL install of Print Shop 12 on Windows 8.1. The only time the installation hesitated was at the very beginning. But, after I waited about a minute, the installation proceeded without any problems, other than the fact that when I was asked to switch disks, it was necessary for me to click on OK several times before the installation would proceed. And, after the installation was successfully completed, I successfully installed the Art Discs. And, I was able to complete the installation without using the Run as administrator option.

As can be seen here

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=38873

even though Print Shop 12 can be successfully installed on a 64-bit Operating System, there are several things that must be kept in mind, which are related to the fact that Print Shop 12 is so old.

As to your comment that your installation hanged at 1% when it says Installing True Type Fonts, I did not see any point at which the installation indicated that it was installing True Type Fonts.

If I were you, I would Restart the computer, insert the Print Shop 12 install disc before opening any other programs, then proceed with the installation in the normal manner.

If the installation still hangs, I would click on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=24103

then perform a computer cleanup, as is described in that FAQ - keeping in mind that after you go to Start | Run then type MSCONFIG, what you will see will be slightly different than what is described for the earlier operations.

After the computer cleanup is completed, I would restart the computer then attempt the installation again - making sure to wait a while if the installation stops at any point, in the hope that it will eventually proceed successfully.

(in reply to veelieb)
Post #: 3
RE: Print Shop 12 won't install from CD - 9/15/2014 1:11:51 PM   
Tara

veelieb,

After I reviewed my earlier post, I realized that my comment about MSCONFIG is not related to the Computer Cleanup FAQ that I recommended.

Instead, MSCONFIG is only an issue during a clean install, which I would recommend if my earlier suggestions do not help to solve your problem.

The directions for a clean install on earlier Operating Systems can be accessed by clicking on the link below

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=23927

If you are, by any chance, using the Starfinity Start menu program

http://www.winability.com/press-release-startfinity/

the clean install will work in pretty much the same fashion on Windows 8.1 as it does on the earlier Operating Systems, except for the MSCONFIG instructions, which as I indicated earlier, are slightly different with Windows 8.1. On Windows 8.1, after going to Start | Run then typing MSCONFIG, you would follow the instructions for finding the Startup tab on the Task Manager. Then, you would make a note of which programs are listed as enabled. After making a list of those programs, you would disable those programs, then follow the instructions for completing the clean install. After the Print Shop 12 installation is complete, you would go back to the Startup tab on the Task Manager, then use the list you made to set the programs you previously disabled to be enabled.

If you are not using Starfinity, you would be required to locate the Run tile on either the Windows 8.1 Metro screen or the Apps by Name window. Hopefully, though, you will not have to use the clean install to successfully install Print Shop 12 on your Windows 8.1.

If you have any questions about any of my suggestions, please do not hesitate to ask.

(in reply to Tara)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Win 8.1 and older Print Shop versions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4