Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Printing mailing labels

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Printing Specific Issues >> Printing mailing labels Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Printing mailing labels - 11/12/2014 11:08:15 AM   
Smiling lady

Although the address book has 'Title', First name, Last Name, information, I am unable to get the label to print the title before the name. ie Mr. and Mrs. Robert Smith . It will print Robert and Mary Smith. How do I get it to print the TITLE in front of the name????
Post #: 1
RE: Printing mailing labels - 11/12/2014 1:15:57 PM   
ellengard

Please confirm the program you are using:

Ultimate Mail Manager in the Print Shop 23.1
OR
The Address Book in the Print Shop 3.5

These two versions of Print Shop are so different that advice for one doesn't work for the other.

(in reply to Smiling lady)
Post #: 2
RE: Printing mailing labels - 11/13/2014 1:03:45 PM   
ellengard

v23.1 can mail merge the Title field; v3.5 cannot. So assuming this is where your problem lies, here is the workaround solution for The Print Shop 3.5:
http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=49437

(in reply to Smiling lady)
Post #: 3
RE: Printing mailing labels - 12/15/2014 9:01:31 AM   
confuzzled

Since 3.5 Professional won't insert the title field, and you can use custom 1, does that mean that I have to go thru every single address and move title to there? Isn't there some way to setup custom 1 (or whatever you use) to pull the title field from the name?

Confuzzled, and always waiting patiently

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 4
RE: Printing mailing labels - 12/15/2014 9:38:14 AM   
ellengard

No, unfortunately, it's not like a spreadsheet program where you can apply formulas and algorithms to produce values in certain fields.

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 5
RE: Printing mailing labels - 12/15/2014 10:54:07 AM   
confuzzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

No, unfortunately, it's not like a spreadsheet program where you can apply formulas and algorithms to produce values in certain fields.

I'd say someone in programming fell down on the job on this one. An update with that fixed would sure be nice. Going thru over 300 contacts to make this adjustment is not going to be fun.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 6
RE: Printing mailing labels - 12/15/2014 12:14:55 PM   
ellengard

Yes, the Title shouldn't have been left out of the mail merge fields. However, there is no Address Book that I know of that could do what you suggested. You would have to use Excel.

In some cases, perhaps it would be easier to just type Mr. & Mrs. right in the text box, then mail merge the contacts where Mr. & Mrs. applies.

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 7
RE: Printing mailing labels - 12/15/2014 1:30:54 PM   
confuzzled

Nah, I'll just have to go through them one by one and fix Broderbund's error. I probably have as many that are just Mr. or Ms. as I do Mr & Mrs, not to mention a few Dr. & Mrs, or the Honorable Reverend & Mrs, and a few others. It's going to be a tedious process. But, this list used to be nearly a thousand names, so a few over 300 will be a lot faster.

That is of course, if I can't figure out a way to get excel to do it for me. I'm not at all good at setting up access to run scripts, so that option won't work for me.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 8
SOLVED RE: Printing mailing labels - 12/15/2014 3:14:53 PM   
confuzzled

TADA!!! I FOUND IT!!!!!! Whilst inside the xml file, I found the field that merges titles! Choose PREFIX and you're all set to go!

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 9
RE: SOLVED RE: Printing mailing labels - 12/15/2014 3:33:12 PM   
ellengard

OMG, you're a genius! I never considered examining the xml file. I'll send an email to the forum admin.

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 10
RE: SOLVED RE: Printing mailing labels - 12/15/2014 3:48:17 PM   
lindarobin

Thank you, confuzzled! Your solution has been pinned in the Print Shop 3.5 forum:
http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=49437

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 11
RE: SOLVED RE: Printing mailing labels - 12/15/2014 3:55:06 PM   
confuzzled

thank you, thank you, I do honestly feel honored.
I just got this software Saturday after years of CreataCard Platinum and Print shop Pro 22.

I feel bad now though, because about 30 seconds before I spotted that I opened a support ticket fussing at them and asking for a patch of some sort to fix their error. OOPS!

(in reply to lindarobin)
Post #: 12
RE: SOLVED RE: Printing mailing labels - 12/15/2014 5:12:08 PM   
ellengard

Submitting a ticket was the right thing to do. A patch would be a good thing. You made the connection between the Title data in the Address Book and the Prefix tags in the Address Book xml file, so here's hoping that speeds up the fix.

I can tell that you're going to know Print Shop 3.5 better than I, soon enough!

(in reply to confuzzled)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS Printing Specific Issues >> Printing mailing labels Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4