Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Windows 10 - Using Address Book

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Windows 10 - Using Address Book Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 12/11/2015 4:29:00 PM   
HnLA

I was able to use Address Book 6.0 on my Win7 with no real problems. I just installed it in Win 10. I have a few issues...

1 - Got everything to work, except now I am seeing on the Event Reminder, it says "Several" instead of the name of the person whose BDay it is. Even when there is only one person with a Bday on that day. One of the reasons I so love Address Book is the ease of keeping track of Birthdays for my business.

2 - It seems to be saving x.AB2 and Abremind.fil file somewhere other than the Programs(x86)/Parsons/AB/6.0 I removed the abremind.fil file and went through the steps to get a new Event Reminder, and I do not see the new Abremind.fil file under 6.0. I tried searching but did not find it. Does anyone know where these files may be saved?

3 - I am not sure why, but it would not take my file called H.AB2. I got an error message about Ptabimp3.exe. I had a backup file called H101515.AB2 and that works. When I copy this file and rename H.AB2 it does not work, get the same error message. But I am not sure its using the new file, cause it seems it may be saving it somewhere else. Its all a bit unclear.
It seems to take files with more than one letter.AB2

A person said that perhaps the address book that comes with Printshop Deluxe 23.1 might work betting with Win 10. Has anyone had any success installing this and using old x.AB2 files?

I really like this program and would love to keep it for another 5 years, if I can work out the few problems.
Thank you.
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 12/11/2015 4:38:24 PM   
HnLA

Also the Help does not work with Win10 get failed to launch and this page opens up https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/917607

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 12/11/2015 6:24:06 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: HnLA
I was able to use Address Book 6.0 on my Win7 with no real problems. I just installed it in Win 10.
...Has anyone had any success installing this and using old x.AB2 files?

Unfortunately, The Print Shop 23.1 is not supported on Win10. Parts of the program may run on Win10. The Address Book portion of the program is extremely old. Generally speaking, you need only copy over the *.AB2 file over to the new computer that has 23.1 installed, running Win7.

Hopefully, Jason, our forum admin, can confirm if the Address Book from PSv23.1 will work on Win10.

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 12/11/2015 9:49:41 PM   
JasonC

Generally speaking, our QA Team has gotten Print Shop 23.1 to run on Windows 10 when the use of the .NET Framework cleanup tool is used. However, there are parts of this program that is not completely compatible with Windows 10 and may require adjustments to the computer such as setting the program in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

My experience with Print Shop 23.1 has been somewhat good but the program crashes often when using it.

I checked with Print Shop 4.0 and it does look like it allows users to import .AB2 files into the mail merge portion of the program. Im not sure how old you can go back since it says Print Shop 23.1 mail files with that AB2 extension.

Would you mind sending the the file that you are trying to open so I can take a look if it works in our new version. A more compatible solution on Windows 10 would be PS 4.0 but 3.5 works too and is much more stable then 23.1 is under Win 10.

Will be sending you an email in the next few minutes or so.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 12/15/2015 5:59:26 PM   
HnLA

Thank you. I have a feeling that the place where the x.ab file is being saved is a mystery. Same with abremind.fil.
If you think I can transfer my H.AB file to PS 4.0 and then that will work like my Address Book 6.0, with the same fields, then I will be happy to buy PS4.0
Because the x.ab and abremind.fil file does not seem to be updating in the location it should be , I would not be able to copy/paste it with changes or have it go to the daily backup.
Thank you.

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 5
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 12/15/2015 7:34:44 PM   
ellengard

quote:

If you think I can transfer my H.AB file to PS 4.0 and then that will work like my Address Book 6.0, with the same fields, then I will be happy to buy PS4.0

I can confirm that my ADBOOK.AB2 file imported without problems, into Print Shop 4.0's Address Book.

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 6
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 12/17/2015 11:31:21 AM   
HnLA

When I go to C:/Px86/Parsons/AddressBook/6.0 the file that seems to be in use H101915.AB2 shows date modified 12/11/15 and had shown 10/19/15 up until I messed with some things even though I had used it on my new computer since 12/2/15.
When I go to Save As from the program, it shows that H101915.AB2 was updated 5 minutes ago, when I opened the program for the day.
Why is it showing different dates for "Date Modified"? This is strange.
Also there is no abremind.fil folder in Parsons/AB/6.0, but there must be as the event reminder is opening with all the birthdates.
Thank you.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 7
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 12/17/2015 3:34:12 PM   
ellengard

quote:

When I go to C:/Px86/Parsons/AddressBook/6.0...

No where on my computer is there Parsons folder, containing a subfolder AddressBook. I'm not even sure we are using the same program. My AB2 file was created with Ultimate Mail Manager from within The Print Shop 23.1. UMM was designed for Win 95, 98 and NT, copyright 1992-1998 Parsons Technology, Inc.

We are talking about a program that is 18 years old and trying to run that on Win10.

Print Shop 4.0 is a Win10 program. At the moment, it can read and convert AB2 files into a new Print Shop 4.0 Address Book. Your AB2 file has no further use after its data is copied to Print Shop 4.0.

quote:

When I go to Save As from the program, it shows that H101915.AB2 was updated 5 minutes ago, when I opened the program for the day.

As soon as I open my AB2 address book, the date modified changes to the current date, regardless of making no edits. I don't like that, but it is what it is.

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 8
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 1/13/2016 11:28:30 AM   
HnLA

I am in Address Book. I go to File/Save As and call it HDuplicate.AB2 and save. I go to C:x86/parsons/AB/6.0 and the file is not there.
This is the strange thing. I know that the file is being updated, as it says today's date when I go to file, save as. But it is not appearing in the folder. I have hidden files turned on. So I am not sure why this is happening.
Ultimately, I would like to know how I can continue to use Address Book. If someone has installed a different program and it has worked with W10, please let me know, As I will buy it and transfer my files. Hopefully that will work. Everything seems to be working except the actual file is not appearing. Thank you.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 9
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 1/13/2016 11:41:50 AM   
JasonC

If someone can send me a test file with the address book I can see what is going on with the files. My impression is that the address book in PS 4.0 works different than the Parsons program everyone knows and love. It only imports data but in the end you print your project and nothing updates.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 10
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 1/13/2016 2:15:21 PM   
HnLA

I sent you an .AB2 file. Thank you

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 11
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 1/14/2016 12:03:03 AM   
JasonC

See the image I uploaded. Print Shop 23.1 has Ultimate Mail Manager which opens AB2 files just fine. You'll notice you can add and edit data.

Small incompatibility that does not break the program, UMM has a window resize bug under Windows 10 and you'll need to maximize the window in order to work with it correctly but as I said it's not a program breaker by any extremes.

Attachment (1)

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 12
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 1/14/2016 1:04:03 PM   
ellengard

quote:

... Address Book 6.0... I really like this program and would love to keep it for another 5 years...

We don't know if updates to Win10 will prevent The Print Shop 23.1 from working in the near future. Tech support for The Print Shop 23.1 is for running it on Win7. Consider exporting your data as a text file so that you can import your data into other programs that will be continually supported on Win 10 and its eventual replacement.

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 13
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 1/14/2016 1:42:07 PM   
JasonC

Was doing some additional research and it appears MS has pulled the download link for the NET Framework 1.1

The great news is that we include this on our PS 23.1 discs so when a customer cleans out the Net Framework using the tool the 1.1 on the disc should install just fine.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 14
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 2/4/2016 6:34:59 PM   
HnLA

I didnt get notified of your post from 3 weeks ago. I was going to post the following. I will try 23. If you add a new address to that tax.ab2 file, does it show updated in the c/x86/parsons/ab/6 locationd?

There are 3 main problems with Address Book 6 on Windows 10.

1 - The .AB2 file does not show up, or show up as updated, in the folder where it should be. It shows the last update of that file, the date it was moved to the folder. I saved it onto the desktop and that one shows that its updated daily when I open it. The abremind.fil file is the same problem.

2 - The printer setup defaults to the default printer. On W7, I had it going to a non-duplex printer, but now it keeps reverting to the duplex printer which is the default.

3 - The event reminder lists "Several" for the person whose birthday it is. This might be because there are other names in a hidden group with the same birthday. But this was not a problem on W7.

If anyone is using a similar Address Program successfully on W10, please let me know. I would be happy to install it.
Thank you.

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 15
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 2/16/2016 7:15:05 PM   
HnLA

Just noticed I cannot Print Events when I go to the Events Reminder

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 16
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 2/16/2016 8:25:08 PM   
ellengard

Again, it's because your program is not compatible with Win 10.

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 17
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 2/16/2016 8:35:46 PM   
ellengard

quote:

If anyone is using a similar Address Program successfully on W10, please let me know. I would be happy to install it.
Thank you.

I do not have this program, but saw this while looking around for something that might meet your needs. It's Win 10 compatible. Have a look at its description.
http://www.broderbund.com/p-924-anytime-organizer-deluxe-v15.aspx

Doing an internet search, I found some free apps such as this one. Just an observation, not a recommendation, since I have not tried it.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 2/16/2016 8:42:39 PM >

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 18
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 2/17/2016 12:05:37 AM   
Ettie

quote:

I was able to use Address Book 6.0 on my Win7 with no real problems. I just installed it in Win 10. I have a few issues...

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard
The Print Shop 23.1 is not supported on Win10. Parts of the program may run on Win10.

The Address Book which is included with Print Shop 23.1 is Ultimate Mail Manager 1.0b while Address Book 6.0 is a stand-alone program. So, any Technical Support which is provided for Print Shop 23.1 would not be applicable to Address Book 6.0.

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 19
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 2/17/2016 12:40:11 AM   
Ettie

quote:

If anyone is using a similar Address Program successfully on W10, please let me know. I would be happy to install it. Thank you.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard
I do not have this program, but saw this while looking around for something that might meet your needs. It's Win 10 compatible. Have a look at its description.
http://www.broderbund.com/p-924-anytime-organizer-deluxe-v15.aspx

The Anytime Organizer Deluxe which ellengard referred to does not have a true mail merge feature. The only thing that Anytime Organizer Deluxe can merge is other Organizer files.

For my Address Book and Mail Merge requirements, I prefer Nova Development' s Greeting Card Factory, as can be seen here

http://www.novadevelopment.com/software/greeting-card-factory-deluxe-502515?&rs4=NV_US_BN&cc=2015GCF-10OFF

Greeting Card Factory reads data from Outlook, the Address Book, Windows Contacts (on Windows Vista and Windows 7) and Excel spreadsheets (.xls), tab- or comma-delimited text files (.txt or .csv) and Access databases (.mdb). Unfortunately, there does not appear to be an option for importing *.ab2 files.

Greeting Card Factory is always updated to be compatible with the latest Operating System. And, if you register your product, you will always be offered a discount for the next version.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> Windows 10 - Using Address Book Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4