Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Dissapointed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> Calendar Creator (2016 Release) >> Dissapointed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dissapointed - 4/22/2017 4:50:50 PM   
TVMangum69

We have been using Calendar Creator at work for years and never had a problem--starting with version 4.x when it was on one 3.5" floppy disk. The 12.x version gave us problems since we were a Win10 shop and our IT department will not open the computer for me to be the administrator.

My computer recently got updated and we installed the 12.x version and all of the problems came back. I contacted Tech Support for help and they mentioned the new version and that it will work in Win10. They did tell me that it was completely overhauled. We went ahead and purchased
and installed it yesterday. Imagine my surprise when I saw the new version. Many of the features that made 12.x so good are gone like creating one layout and it gets applied to all calendars in that workspace, bannered events, customize the categories so everything in the category looked the same.

I am very disappointed in this "update." To call this an update is an injustice to the original software. This is dumbing down of a good, useful software that helps manage multiple schedule. I am going to do my best to make it work but there is a lot that can be done to make this software better--
like bringing back the features that made Calendar Creator so great!

Any suggestions on how to modify the default categories so that when applied to events they all look the same instead of having to go to each event and update the format one at a tme?
Post #: 1
RE: Dissapointed - 4/22/2017 7:43:40 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: TVMangum69
...Any suggestions on how to modify the default categories so that when applied to events they all look the same instead of having to go to each event and update the format one at a tme?

You are correct that this is not an update of version 12. 2016 is a new Win 10 program marketed with the CC brand name. It's important that users provide feedback as to what features need to be reintroduced.

Regarding your question about setting up the categories, I don't know enough about the program, but hopefully someone who does can answer that question.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 4/22/2017 7:44:11 PM >

(in reply to TVMangum69)
Post #: 2
RE: Dissapointed - 4/22/2017 11:33:30 PM   
JasonC

Lots has been done to this program in the new v1.02 patch update: http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=52865

As far as banner style events, this is a huge feature that our loyal Calendar Creators use and I hope the developers can make this feature available in a future version.

If you have any feedback about what features this program should have we would love to hear your complete feedback.

I've kind of worked around the banner issue by creating a transparent shape and stretching it out across the week .You can see what I've done here:

http://forums.encoreusa.com/tm.asp?m=52706

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to TVMangum69)
Post #: 3
RE: Dissapointed - 4/23/2017 12:52:53 AM   
ChuckWhite

quote:

ORIGINAL: TMLFAN4LIFE

If you have any feedback about what features this program should have we would love to hear your complete feedback.

Jason,

I share TVMangum69's frustrations with this new version. Where should we post our feedback on features that should be re-introduced? How often are updates planned to be released?

Chuck

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 4
RE: Dissapointed - 4/23/2017 9:37:09 AM   
JasonC

These forums are great to voice opinions. I personally send these for our developer to read in weekly updates so your voice does get heard

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to ChuckWhite)
Post #: 5
RE: Dissapointed - 4/23/2017 10:13:25 AM   
TVMangum69

We are currently using version 1.0.2.493 so I assume that is the most recent version.

(in reply to ChuckWhite)
Post #: 6
RE: Dissapointed - 4/23/2017 10:22:54 AM   
TVMangum69

As far as suggested features for this version--bring back the core functionality of the Calendar Creator software. If I had to narrow the list down to two things it would be (1) ability to edit the categories per file so that everything that is assigned to a category has the same look and (2) the banner event function. If that can be accomplished I think many users will be happy.

(in reply to ChuckWhite)
Post #: 7
RE: Dissapointed - 12/28/2017 5:23:16 PM   
behirsch

I just looked into this forum for the first time in a couple of years because my version 12 does what I want and I didn't have any questions, so this information about the 2016 release is new to me. There is one thing I have to ask because I don't see a clear answer anywhere: does the new version open and use calendars created in version 12? Is all information about events saved and displayed? Thank you.

(in reply to TVMangum69)
Post #: 8
RE: Dissapointed - 12/28/2017 5:43:52 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: behirsch
...does the new version open and use calendars created in version 12?

No, it definitely does not. However, it is possible to import a CSV file to the new program. You must create a CSV file from the old program first. Some people have posted that they had trouble with the CSV file being properly read into the new program.

(in reply to behirsch)
Post #: 9
RE: Dissapointed - 12/28/2017 9:37:35 PM   
behirsch

So, just so I understand: If I use the new version I may/will probably lose records of my past entries and annual events such as birthdays. Is that right?
If it is right, it is time for me to move to another calendar program.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 10
RE: Dissapointed - 12/29/2017 4:11:28 PM   
ellengard

Birthdays shouldn't be a problem. It's when you have several custom fields or when each record has "too many" data fields, that can complicate matters.

Sure you can try other programs, but nothing else can open Calendar Creator 12.1 files. Find a calendar program that is very good at importing CSV files.

< Message edited by ellengard -- 12/29/2017 4:12:32 PM >

(in reply to behirsch)
Post #: 11
RE: Dissapointed - 1/27/2018 7:43:09 PM   
behirsch

Thanks for the information, Ellengard. Can you tell me where I can find instructions for transferring my old Calendar Creator events to the new version?

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 12
RE: Dissapointed - 1/27/2018 7:55:26 PM   
ellengard

Open your old calendar file in the old program. Read the program's Help files for instructions on how to export your calendar events to CSV.

(in reply to behirsch)
Post #: 13
RE: Dissapointed - 4/25/2018 9:48:46 AM   
CDDu

I am also disappointed with the new CC 12.1 program that I purchased and downloaded two weeks ago so I could run it under Windows 10. I followed the instructions to export my Calendar Creator events from CC 10 (running under XP) to a csv file. However, the instructions for importing that file into CC 12.1 are useless because the File drop-down menu does not display an Import tab.

Yesterday I sent a message to Technical Support asking how to get past this hiatus, but today I received a reply saying, "Unfortunately, Technical Support does not provide functionality "how- to" support for this program. Technical support is limited to error messages, install and uninstall issues." They recommended that I consult the Forum. How unfortunate that there is not better support for CC.

My purchase of CC 12.1 was a waste of money. I am ready to look for a different calendar program, even though I have been using CC since it was a DOS program.

(in reply to behirsch)
Post #: 14
RE: Dissapointed - 4/25/2018 10:26:03 AM   
DEJenc3

Could you clarify: Are you using CC12.1, a prior release, or the new Calendar Creator released in 2016? 12.1 is a version number, and doesn't apply to the 2016 release. If you are really using 12.1, I believe it will open CC10 calendars directly, if they are .bcc files.

If it is CC12.1, see this article:
http://support.encore.com/technicalsupport/kb.aspx?kb_id=1098&product_id=2685

David

(in reply to CDDu)
Post #: 15
RE: Dissapointed - 4/25/2018 11:56:02 AM   
CDDu

What I wanted was a newer version of Calendar Creator that would run on my new laptop computer under Windows 10 64-bit, so I just ordered what was offered on the Broderbund website. I paid for it, downloaded it and installed it.

I thought I was getting v12.1, but I just looked in About and it says it is version 1.02.493 By Story Rock, Inc. So was I misled? Did I get what I need? Was I sent the wrong thing?

I am having trouble with it because even though I followed the instructions for exporting a CSV file from CC 10 (under XP) the instructions are to find an Import tab in the Text drop-down, but there is none there.

(in reply to DEJenc3)
Post #: 16
RE: Dissapointed - 4/25/2018 12:35:23 PM   
JasonC

CC 10 is a product that has been discontinued from support so questions about that product (even if they are technical) are to be answered on the forum.

Generally speaking, Calendar Creator 2016 release will not open BCC files. If you have the old Calendar running, you would need to export the CSV data from the old program and import it into the new one.

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to CDDu)
Post #: 17
RE: Dissapointed - 4/25/2018 12:39:48 PM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: CDDu

I am having trouble with it because even though I followed the instructions for exporting a CSV file from CC 10 (under XP) the instructions are to find an Import tab in the Text drop-down, but there is none there.

All CSV data is imported into the appropriate category. On the new Calendar Creator, look for the checkmark at the top of the screen and look for the button to the left of it. This is the events list screen.

Click on the Import / Export buttons above the OK button and you should be shown a screen where you can Import your CSV data.

Similar data screens such as address book etc work in this fashion too.

If you don't see the data after you've imported the CSV file, there may be a technical issue with the way the data is encoded and the way the program interprets that data.

Attachment (1)

Jason Carver
www.encore.com

(in reply to CDDu)
Post #: 18
RE: Dissapointed - 4/25/2018 2:55:23 PM   
ellengard

quote:

ORIGINAL: CDDu
What I wanted was a newer version of Calendar Creator that would run on my new laptop computer under Windows 10 64-bit, so I just ordered what was offered on the Broderbund website....

I just looked throughout the Broderbund site and there is only the StoryRock version. Version 12.1 was discontinued awhile ago, although many have found that it works on Win 10. However, future Windows updates may break the program for which there will be no technical fixes because 12.1 is not supported on Win 10.

So yes, you did receive the latest version of CC that will run on Win 10. Because you did save all your events as a CSV file, you can import this file to other programs, not just CC. Just so you know that you have other program options as well as CC.

(in reply to CDDu)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> Calendar Creator (2016 Release) >> Dissapointed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4