Encore Forums Encore Forums

Knowledgebase  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 2/17/2016 1:29:46 AM   
Ettie

As can be seen here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/what-happened-to-windows-address-book

the latest word is that Windows Address Book has been replaced by Windows Contacts. Windows Contacts has all the features of the old Windows Address Book, as well as some new features, such as the ability to add pictures to your contacts.

(in reply to Ettie)
Post #: 21
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 8/15/2016 2:11:54 PM   
HnLA

I bought PS23.1 and just installed it. I used the instructions for exporting/importing to Ultimate Mail Manager. (I am not trying to use any other part of the 23.1) I still get a problem with the Event Reminder showing "Several" as the date. The problem with AB6 on W10 is the Event Reminder, and it does not show the x.AB file as being updated. So it shows the last time the file was saved as the day it was created, even though addresses have been added. I am not sure if the file, which is now being saved in User.../Documents is being updated, too soon to tell

The biggest problem I have is that the Group names were not exported. So now I have a list of 1064 names, with no coding. This would take a long time to fix.
So if the Event Reminder is still not working in Windows 10, I do not see that PS 23.1 does in fact work . I have seen posts on here that it does, perhaps other features of PS, but I do not see the Address Book/UMM working any different than Address Book 6.0

I would really like to have it functional, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thank you.

< Message edited by HnLA -- 8/15/2016 2:18:00 PM >

(in reply to Ettie)
Post #: 22
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 8/15/2016 6:33:03 PM   
ellengard

It's not Win 10 compatible.

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 23
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 8/16/2016 11:59:27 AM   
JasonC

quote:

ORIGINAL: ellengard

It's not Win 10 compatible.

What ellengard said :) You're basically taking a chance when running Print Shop 23.1 on Windows 10.

I don't want to sound too technical but if you have the knowledge on how to run a virtual Windows environment, you can set up a Windows operating system that was compatible with this version of Print Shop to work with as a possible workaround for the incompatibilities of Windows 10. There are a few out there but I can't suggest any specific software packages sorry. But there is always a way :)

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 24
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 8/17/2016 1:37:29 PM   
HnLA

The sales people told me it was compatible with W10. The person I spoke to even sent me a this link,
http://support.encore.com/technicalsupport/kb.aspx?kb_id=818&product_id=2647
Now I cannot use the AB that came with PS 23.1 and for some reason, my old AB6 is using the database of the UMM for the Event Reminder. The problem with the event reminder is the whole reason and pretty much only reason AB6 is not working on W 10.
The other reason is that it is not saving the files to a place I can find. So I cannot find where the abremind.fil is. I changed the ones I found to abremind.old, but its still pulling the event reminder from the UMM .ab2. where is this abremind.fil located on the C drive?

Thank you
BTW, I ask to be notified by email when there is a reply, but its not doing that.

(in reply to JasonC)
Post #: 25
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 8/17/2016 3:18:15 PM   
HnLA

I uninstalled PS23.1 restarted, and now when I open my old AB 6.0, I get a message "cannot start event reminder". I have unchecked and checked the boxes. I have moved an old abremind.fil file to the c:parsons/ab/6 folder. And still now the event reminder is totally non functional.
I hate to reinstall as that might not help and it takes an hour or two for me to get the print settings set up.
Any suggestions? Thank you.

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 26
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 8/17/2016 4:16:28 PM   
ellengard

Compatible, but NOT 100% compatible, and not supported on Win 10. Especially give that the part you are interested in was developed in the 1990's. Find an old XP computer to install this on.

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 27
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 8/23/2016 1:57:49 PM   
HnLA

When I first got my W10 computer, I installed AB 6.0 and it kept telling me it needed ptabimp3.exe. So I copied that from my old computer and the event reminder opened up (although it did not display correctly, saying "several" when there was only one person with that date.
Now after installing PS 23.1 and uninstalling it. I cannot get the event reminder to open. It said missing ptabimp3.exe. I copied and pasted it, but still the event reminder will not open any more.
I am wondering if its worth reinstalling AB 6. This is not optimal as it takes a few hours to get all the printing labels set up.
If I had known PS23.1 UMM would cause more problems, I would have left it alone and just dealt with this.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

(in reply to ellengard)
Post #: 28
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 8/24/2016 2:49:46 PM   
HnLA

Is there a way to copy the print setting from old copy to new copy? I have a lot of customized print things, and that is holding me back from reinstalling. Thanks.

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 29
RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book - 8/25/2016 3:11:17 PM   
JasonC

I don't have that information so I can't be of much help. If you use the forum search functionality, there may be topics that are of assistance.

Since there will not be any patches or updates for this product, you may wish to find an older computer to use your older product on or find a solution that meets your needs for the work you have to do on Windows 10.

Jason Carver
Encore Sales Department and Customer Service
www.encore.com
For Tech Support, visit http://support.encore.com

(in reply to HnLA)
Post #: 30
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Product Forums] >> [Productivity Software] >> [The Print Shop 23.1 and older] >> PS General functionality >> RE: Windows 10 - Using Address Book Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Please Note: In order to post a message on the forums, you will need to become an Encore Forum Member. Click on the Register link on the top of this page and follow the instructions to become an Encore Forum Member.

If you are a new member and need help using these forums, please click on the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4